ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Some friends and I braved the cold and the rain this morning to try for some cohos on the pier at Jackson. Like yesterday it was pretty slow. I only saw one coho caught over several hours and my friend had two missed hits on the KO wobbler. I don't mind though because I caught a brown trout for the first time. I was working a number 4 mepps bucktail spinner. This fish nailed the spinner on the fall. As soon as I started the retrieve he was on.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've yet to get a brown to shore and my son has beat me too it. That is a nice one there,,,,,,good to here still some mepps in use in the lake :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hooked the first steelhead of my life... got him floating on the surface 2 feet from shore... and lost him... :(

It was heartbreaking... I was so excited - the biggest and best thing I've ever caught in the Lake. I probably made mistakes with the fish though...

1) Working without a net (hard to net solo I suppose anyways).
2) Didn't tire him out first (just reeled him into shore quick).
3) Didn't stay perpendicular to the fish w/ my rod.

These are the things I keep thinking in my mind were reasons I might have lost him... Hopefully it wasn't just a crappy sale lure... Just bad technique...

Sigh...

*edited from brown trout to steelhead (now that I can actually identify the fish)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Somebody once posted on here about how he never fishes lake michigan, even for perch, without bringing a proper net.
But anyway, everyone loses good fish. The surface is usually where it happens. Better luck next time.

You will definitely increase your odds if you use good line (I prefer braid) long rods, pay close attention to your drag, and never forget your net.

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
Jay K said:
Hooked the first brown trout of my life... got him floating on the surface 2 feet from shore... and lost him... :(

It was heartbreaking... I was so excited - the biggest and best thing I've ever caught in the Lake. I probably made mistakes with the fish though...

1) Working without a net (hard to net solo I suppose anyways).
2) Didn't tire him out first (just reeled him into shore quick).
3) Didn't stay perpendicular to the fish w/ my rod.

These are the things I keep thinking in my mind were reasons I might have lost him... Hopefully it wasn't just a crappy sale lure... Just bad technique...

Sigh...
even if you tired the fish what were you supposed to do? atleast with a net you could have done it yourself or had someone walking by help or other fisherman if you weren't alone, i've landed plenty kings by myself had to get down on my knees to net the fish but i've only lost 1 which was a big male but it was late and I couldn't really see what I was doing and ended up getting the trebles caught in the net, and its bye bye fish at that point without a second net

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
joelreiser said:
Hank, disnt you catch that brown in the spring? I don't think people look at dates. :roll:
I was being funny 8:)

I was supposed to go fishing with Hank that day...I just remember it pouring down like a mother.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I saw a very nice looking brown folowing a school of kings at belmont yesterday I would love to land a big one full of eggs. These fall browns are alusive any tips on targeting them after the king run peters out. :)5 8:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts