ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winds played with my mind quite a bit today. First the winds out of the south when I got to the port then changed to the north. since I fish a 16' I got out of there quick and went to the ditch mouth. When I was in the port had 4 hits, landed one small coho (back to the lake it went). Then the winds died down after I was at the ditch mouth. But in all nice day 1 rainbow about 22", and some good eating size coho. I might of had the pleasure of fishing next to the Chicagoland Fishing.com legend Bob Hicks. What a pleasure to see this man work. Till next post tight lines.
Bill

·
Registered
156 Posts
May I ask for some info on Burns Ditch? How do you get there? License info, and techniques. Thanks- If interested I will offer a trip on the illinois river for sauger, whitebass , cats or crappies.

G

·
Sorry Guys but that wasn't me! Spent the morning at Palos Hospital with Moms, she had a cadillac (or what ever they call them things)removed from her eye today!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bob
Sorry to hear about you mom. Hope things went well for her. But you did miss out on a good day at the lake. sorry I should not rub it in have been on your side of the fence to many times. I thought you fisher with a foward mounted pole for planner boards? Who ever that was he was a gentelman fisherman.
Till is see you on the lake good fishin.
Bill

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Madcatter
I am not sure that I can qualify as one to give you good information about the ditch but I will tell you what I know.
Directions: 80/94 to the Port of Indiana exit, go left over the interstate then you cross the ditch (there is an old wood/steel bridge on you left) stay in the left hand lane and turn left and follow the road to your right, it will lead you to the boat launch.
When you launch go to your right as you exit the harbor, that will take you to the lake. This is a NO wake zone all the way to the lake about a 5min boat ride (gives you time to rig rods). If the lake is calm I will go to the port (go to your right as you leave the ditch, you will see big stone retaining wall off in the distance about 2-3 miles), If the lake is somewhat rough I just troll in and out of the stained water from the ditch. That way I am sure if bad weather hits i am close to safty. I only have a 16' boat and do not believe in beer balls. I tried it when I was younger and it dont work.
Bill
The river info sounds good I do not get to fish the rivers much and was looking foward to going to the Illinois. I fish the Fox from shore at lunch time but have not done very good. Beats stayin at work though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
MADCATTER
I AM GETTING READY TO TAKE MY BOAT OUT TO THE PORT FOR THE SPRING RUN COHO'S. I HAVE A 17FT RANGER BASS BOAT, AND AS LONG AS THE WINDS ARE RIGHT, I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM GOING OUT OF THERE. I HAVE BEEN IN SOME THREE FOOTERS WITH NO PROBLEM. I CAST OR TROLL DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH THE FISH ARE COOPERATING. I WOULD BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO SWAP A DAY AT THE PORT FOR A DAY ON THE ILLINOIS FOR WHITE BASS. I HAVE NEVER DONE THAT AND WOULD LOVE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT IT. E MAIL ME AT [email protected] AND GIVE ME A NUMBER TO GET A HOLD OF YOU. WITH YOU FISHING THE FOX FROM SHORE, I ASSUME YOU ARE FROM THE WESTERN SUBURBS. I LIVE IN NAPERVILE AND MAINLY FISH LAKE MICHIGAN, LASALLE AND LAKE GENEVA IN WISCONSIN. LET ME KNOW.
LN SHARK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts