ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

busse lake

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Sticky 
#1 ·
I went out to Busse Lake last night for the first time of the year. I put the boat in around 5:30 pm and fished until 7:30pm. Water temps were in the low 50’s in deeper water and mid to upper 50’s in the woody shallow areas. Water color might be a little darker than the usually coffee color but not by much. After reading this month’s bassmaster I decided to try the whole idea of bass relating to current during the spring. In the article the pro compared it to a buffet line for bass as baitfish would swim by all day long. At Busse Lake there is an area where two channels come together in a “Y” formation kind of. In between the two channels is a shallow flat that is loaded with weeds during the summer. All the bass caught were on crankbaits that I threw up onto the flat and ripped free of weeds and I’d kill it in the channel for a free fall. I’m not sure if the bass were in the weeds or sitting in the channel but all my hits came on the free fall. I would have posted pictures or sizes or numbers but I’ve been accused of being a bragger so I’ll just provide the logistical info to help anyone looking for fish on Busse Lake.

#2 ·
Crankbaits falling? On the free-fall?

Are you talking about sinking crankbaits like Rat-L-Trap, Rat-L-N-Rap, an so on? I ask because, I thought most "crankbaits" have lips but they float on the surface until the lip makes them dive. Could you be a little more specific as to what you meant by crankbaits? :)5

#5 ·
Nice!! I was thinkin about goin ot in the boat this weekend. Is the south pool ramp open??? Thanks for the info and dont worry about being stingy on info. People need to just get out and fish!! Study your fish and waters and become a better fisherman! too much instant gratification. I grew up in EGV so that lake is a special place for me. Maybe I'll see you out there :)2

#7 ·
busse

only crank baits i know that sink are the ones with a hole in them and fill with water, i agree with fishrelease you meant to say rattle trap, and i dont think you put a small pin hole in a crank bait so it fills up with water and sinks when bait is paused

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.