ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on YouTube and searched for fishing Illinois. I found a lot of interesting videos on there. However, there's a guy on there in a snow storm, fishing without gloves nor a hat. He's trying to catch bass that are small in some warm water discharge. My question is, even if it's for show, can an angler try on purpose to catch under-size fish that have length limits? I just was puzzled about it, whether it is legal or ethical. Ethical, probably not. Legal? I don't really know the answer. (By the way, I still can't figure out how to get pictures from photo bucket to this sight.)

·
Registered
911 Posts
Size limits are about keeping fish, not catching them. Can you imagine fishing somewhere you could get a ticket because the bass that bit your bait was a 1/4 inch under the slot?

My own $.02 worth is catch anything that bites, but put back what you don't need or shouldn't have. I was just on a party boat down in the Gulf of Mexico last week and I kept catching grouper that I had to put back because the season wasn't open on them and they would have been under the size mark anway. Was it wrong for me to be out on that boat because I might catch a grouper?

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts

Copy and then paste your img code from there to here,like so...

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I saw the video on youtube you are referring to...the dude is fishing the WWD at Busse. I don't think its wrong in any way to try to catch fish. I mean, how could you avoid catching non-keepers and become a poacher? And besides, if its all catch and release...it doesn't bother me at all.

I've fished the warm water discharge. There are keeper bass swimming in there too. Who's to say that the dude on the youtube video was strictly only going for little ones?

And besides...I don't think anyone keeps fish from the discharge. It's actually a dirty place...

Now, on photobucket, all you have to do is go to your album, find your picture, and click into the IMG code and copy it. Once you have it copied, paste it directly into your post.

Click into this picture for a larger view.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once in Devil's Lake Wisconsin

I was on vacation in Baraboo, WI and the lake there we camped by and fished at was Devil's Lake. They had "cadet" fisheries enforcement people trhere riding around on a bicycle. I was about 15 years old. My father bought a fishing liscense. I didn't need one. This "cadet" was trying to say I needed an id, that I couldn't fish, that I caught underser-sized fish, which was a criminal offense, even though I released it. My point is, there were people out there who would try anything to give you a ticket if you were out of state. Being 15, I didn't even have an i.d. He was going to ticket me for fishing period, whether I needed a liscense or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts