ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My starter battery is not holding a charge despite good water level and clean terminals, etc. I have an extra deep cycle battery that hold a charge well. When the starter battery was starting to go, I even used the extra deep cycle to jump it.

I have a 70 horse motor that starts almost instantly, and as I said, starts almost instantly when I'm jumping off the extra deep cycle.

So I was thinking of simply replacing the old starting battery with the extra deep cycle. This would save me a bit of money, rather than buying a new starter battery.

Is this OK to do, or am I setting myself up for some unknown problem.

Thanks,

Backlash

·
Registered
71 Posts
battery

First of all, how old is that starter battery? If its under 3-4 yrs. old, i would look at your alternator on your main motor

·
Registered
321 Posts
It will work but will damage it's eefectiveness as a deep cycle. The reserve capacity will be less and less with each use. So powering things like lights and electronics will drain the battery faster after awhile. A starter battery is designed release a large amount of instantaneous current for starting a motor, and to be recharged constantly by an alternator without compromising the capacity. A deep cycle is designed to produce a lower amperage over a longer period of time, and be recharged slowly after a days use. But sure, just about any vehicle or lawn tractor battery will work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts