ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody fished here? I've seen the ice fishing reports but that's it. We just bought a new construction in the "community" although fishing had nothing to do with it. Any tips would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
Candlewick...

AF22, check your pm's

G

·
WTG Greg, congrats on the new place! Glad to see you back. Hope the fishing is good over there! What is that close to Macomb? It's almost a whole different country once you get out there.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
At one time I had the crazy notion I could convince the wife to move there. Obviously that did not work out too well :oops: I looked into the fishing and saw some promising reviews and reports. The IL section of Lake-Link has some good info. Congrats on the purchase :)2

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys... Ed, it's just north of Belvidere off I-90. You can do a google search for candlewick lake or poplar grove. I'm working in Rockford so it'll be a small commute of about 20 min but its a nice area and the taxes are reasonable... For example, a 250K house in Rockford has taxes around 7K a year. I'm not joking. Oh, and the public schools are awful so add private school tuition to that mix. I don't think so.

Anyways, we're about 4 houses up from the lake, 5 bedroom 3 bathroom... don't need that much space but 1 bedroom will be an office and another a gym. Anybody feel like bringing a boat up gimme a holler :-D

Ed, I'm still back in Naperville quite often so we'll have to hit up the spots again sometime this spring.

2 minute walk down the street:

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Nice place. I haear that that is a pretty good resident only lake. Pretty good population of walleye.

·
Registered
41 Posts
yo i fished that lake about 20 times last year i know it well my girlfriends parents own a place there i have got the walleye on that lake figured out pretty well they dont let u use live bait there pm i will give u my number im out there all the time its great for bass there sre some muskie in there but mostly u will catch snake northern and bass great lake though i would move there but to far of a comute for work

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hey Greg,

Long time no speak. How you doing?

I have a good freind who parents live on that lake. He fishes it quite often. Back when we were kids, (about 1984 or so), we went fishing there together. He caught a freakin monster pike. No net, in a canoe with no anchor, so we landed it the only way we could think of. I smacked it on the head with the paddle. :lol: He had the head of that fish mounted. I know he has taken some large fish out of there over the years, and it has been up and down, with all the weed controls, development, and everything else that has gone on over the years (if my memory serves me correctly). There are muskies in Candlewick now. Crappies, and of course Bass. Perhaps Walleye and Pike as well, but I do not know that for certain.

Hasta!

Darrin

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Darrin, doing well and you? Ed tells me of your incident at his spot :lol: . That's too bad. Yeah, Candlewick had a sewage problem about 15 years back from what I've heard but they solved that problem from what I hear. We shall see. Compared to DuPage county there isn't much selection for bass ponds so it'll have to do.

The one thing I don't understand is how a lake that small (220 acres) is capable of supporting a musky AND pike population. I didn't think they could coexist unless the lake was huge due to the pike growing quicker and wiping out the musky (or could be vice versa)

·
Registered
26 Posts
My in-laws lived there a few years ago and I caught some nice crappie and bluegills on an ultralight rig. Caught a few nice bluegills on a fly rod too. My father-in-law is a bass fisherman and had some success with bass at Candlewick lake, but not as much as he has at other lakes. We were bank fishing one day and someone had caught and left to die on the bank a huge carp. I have heard that carp in a lake with negatively impact other species.
Mel

·
Registered
489 Posts
usairforce22 said:
Ed tells me of your incident at his spot :lol: . That's too bad.
Yeah, the guy almost gets me thrown in jail! ;) :lol:

Did he also mention his little incident of throwing his entire rod into the drink during a cast? :eek: I gotta admit, I could not fish for about 15 mnutes after that, as my muscles were all cramped up from laughing so hard. ;) I'm willing to bet he "forgot" to mention that adventure to you...., or perhaps he was just a bit too :oops: Hee Hee! Wish I coulda got it on video, it would have been a You Tube Smash Hit! 8:)

G

·
Man, tough crowd!

I'm minding my own business, then wham! All of a sudden I get thrown under a bus......

:lol:

Greg,

I should bring Darrin and the tin can up there so we can fish and/or laugh at me some more...... :roll: I only have 2 life jackets, so Darrin might have to swim.. er a bring his own I mean.... yeah that's it. ;)

·
Registered
489 Posts
The Statute of Limitations on an incident as hilarious as the "Rod Baptism" is a good 50 years. This gives me carte blanche to bring it up at will, ad nauseum even, and to embellish wherever I see a need to throuroughly poke fun at said perpetrator. :p

If it makes you feel better, I sank my buddies canoe, while he was still in it.. :eek: This was actually right after he caught that big pike mentioned above! We beached my end, and I got out. I went to pull my end further up onto shore so he would be able to get out. Well, I must have cornfused up with in, because I lifted the front end about head high. I was frozen with amazement at how easy it was to do this, as my buddies wieght was a perfect counter balance with the water being a perfect fulcrum, and in he went, with all his gear! :oops: Not sure why I made this mistake, but it could have had been a sublimminal animosity towards him catching that big pike. :) He was pretty peeved at me the rest of the day.. 8:) No wonder the guy hardly ever takes me fishing anymore! :)4

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sounds like a good time. Ed Supplies the boat and fuel, Greg the beer and steaks, and I'll supply the free fishing lessons! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I'd be up for a trip like that. Would be a good time.

Darrin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts