ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TODAY I FISHED THE CHAIN FOR CARP.I KNOW MOST PEOPLE HATE CARP,BUT TO ME CARP ARE A GREAT FISH TO CATCH,THEY PUT UP A GREAT FIGHT!ANYWAY I STARTED AT 5:30 AM,AND FINISHED AT 11AM I CAUGHT 6 FISH THEY WEIGHED 4lb 4lb 5lb 7lb6oz 10lb AND 11lb6oz.I HAVED FISHED FOR CARP FOR THE LAST 4 YEARS AND UP TO NOW 9lb WAS MY BIGGEST ONE.MY GOAL FOR THIS SEASON WAS TO CATCH 1 OVER 10lb.AS YOU CAN GUESS IM A VERY HAPPY MAN.NOW MY GOAL IS A 20lb CARP.I TOOK SOME PICTURES BUT I HAVE NO SCANNER. FOX CHAIN CARP WATCH OUT IM COMEING!

·
Registered
32 Posts
If, your looking for some good size carp. try fishing some small man-made ponds in subdivisions and golf courses. believe it or not i was fishing a tiny local pond with just some canned corn and i reeled in a huge 25-30 lb. CARP! no joke,also a few in the 10-15 pound range. also some good sized catfish. be careful on the golf courses though, if you get caught by the managers they may fine you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANKS FOR THE TIP.I DONT LIKE FISFING THOSE SMALL PONDS,THERES NO CHALLANGE,BUT A 25 TO 30 POUNDER.MAYBE ILL GIVE IT A GO.WHERE WAS THIS POND,I LIVE IN PALATINE,SO MAYBE IM CLOSE.THANKS

·
Registered
18 Posts
i know we catch carp on bluff lake. there is a mullberry tree,(newport cove) in the summer that drop the black berrys we shake the tree and the carp come up to eat the berrys when they drop in the water there are catfish and carp in the water eating the berrys . we hook a berry on and the carp and catfish will grab it as it drops in the water. my daughter has caught many carp doing this she is 7 years old she has the fight of her life. this kind of thing happens any where there is a berry tree near the water.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went back to the same spot today.The first fish that I caught weighed 13lb.I caught 2 others 3lb and 5lb,so I broke my record 3 times back to back 10lb,11halflb then 13lb.That is better than I hoped for all season,and its just begun.HAPPY DAYS!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Tottonham, I agree the lowly carp is a great fish. I love when some bass fisherman asks what I’m fishing for and I say carp. They turn up their nose and walk away in disgust. After about the second or third carp in the 5 lb to 12 lb range is caught they wander slowly on back and ask what I’m using for bait. I always smile and say carp bait, what else. If they press for more information I just tell them it’s Uncle Josh Carp Bait. Good luck trying to catch much with that stuff. Had they shown a little respect for one of the toughest fish to roam fresh water I would have told them how to make a killer boile-bait. You can’t buy the good stuff, it must be made fresh. The stuff I make is only good for a few days and then must be tossed. It is however, one great bait. Keep fishing for the “sucker lipped freight train” and you will break a 20 pounder sooner or later. I pulled one out of the fox river and tried to weigh it on a zebco de-liar that went to 20 lbs. The fish bottomed out that scale with great authority. Another thing is numbers of fish caught, three and six are great catches. I’ve never complained about catching even only one nice carp. However, I do know of a few spots on the fox that can get VERY HOT in the summer. 10 to 30 a night can be common. There was one magic night back in the 80’s that a friend of mine and I located a large sand flat just before a big bend in the river. This was a cool summer night that suddenly warmed-up around 1:30 in the morning. We had been fishing since 8:00 pm the day before and were doing well. Well we located this spot just about the same time the air temp jumped from around 60 to 70 degrees. The first cast to this flat caught me off guard. A second or two after the bait hit the water a massive strike jarred my shoulders, five minutes later a nice 18 pounder was released and my buddy had already caught two more while I was fighting this one. The run lasted till an hour after sunrise. The baits were being nailed before they even hit bottom on almost 30% of the casts (very rare for the cautious carp). I don’t know how many we caught that night but it was about 100 to 150 between the two of us. I live in Mount Prospect so if you want to get together some weekend to carp fish send an e-mail. You didn’t mention if you were fishing from a boat or not. Most of the best spots to shore fish the fox are now off limits so I bought a 16.5’ Bell canoe last year and would be happy to take you along. Bill, [email protected] or [email protected]

G

·
Hi,

I also live in Palatine. If you want good card action, to go the big lake in Lake Zurich. Fish where the bait shop is. Use canned corn, or your own little bait that you make. About an hour before sunset, this place goes crazy!!! I always bring three poles with me, and almost everynight, all three poles go down at the same time. It's really fun trying to bring in three carp at once. They aren't too big, mostly about 5-15 lbs each. But still, reeling in three 10 lb card with 6-8 lb test line on medium action rods is something else!

Email me if you want to go sometime, I'll try to meet you out there.

[email protected]

Good luck!

Bunky

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also live in Mount Prospect about a half mile from Prospect High. I fish Old Orchard country club condominiums for bass and crappie but i have caught many carp over the 10 lbs mark in there, and one that would definatly push 20. If you chum the water its nuts they go balistic. For some reason we can only catch the carp later in the day. Just thought you would like to know.

P.S. watch out for the old people they will chase you out, Or call the cops, but the cops don't care.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts