ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m going to give carp fishing at the chain of lakes a try this season. I want to put together a carp rig. What do you think about this setup.
Reel - shimano solstace spinning, 12 LB/160 YDS
Rod - ugly stik spinning , 7' M or 9' M
Line - 20 lb berkley trilene big game

·
Registered
298 Posts
;) I have a very similar set-up. The only thing I would change is the 20lb. test to 12lb. I actually prefer braid. If your truly going to use an uglystick, braid will give you more versatility. Braid is smaller in diameter so more can go on spool. 20lb. braid is only roughly a third of the diameter of mono, so twice as much can go on your spool. It will also improve your casting distance ALOT. Braid also is more abrasion resistant so you don't have to cut and re-tie your rigs as often. Since uglysticks are made of fibreglass you won't need the stretch that mono gives. Fibreglass rods and mono = very poor hook setting power. All the hook-setting is lost on the stretch. Also if you can, go with the longer(9') rod. It will give you longer casts, better hook-setting leverage, and allow you to play a BIG fish easier. hope this helps some. If your interested, there will be a summer carp league that will allow you to gain some knowledge from some very experienced carpers. just a suggestion. later

·
Registered
678 Posts
if you keep 20 as a mainline make sure you go to a much lighter leader on a hair rig. 20 will give you a knot as big as your fist! carp notice those sort of things, they are very smart fish, tge smartist in freshwater
Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts