ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

carp spawning

8K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  troyleaf 
Bowfishing is perfectly legal on the chain. That is where I started. Did most of my fishing in ackermans channel and around grass lake. You will know when the carp are spawning around there. You can actually smell them. They start spawning in another month or so. Usually about the time when the water gets high after a few rains. And you can shoot plenty of fish without lights. Go out on really hot days and look for them around the middle of the channels and around the docks. The best ways is to get out right around sunrise and sunset and look for their backs sticking out of the water around the shorelines.

During the spawn, any lake on the chain is good. My personal favorite is the small cove by the grass lake bridge. It is right next to the Port of Blarneys. It is connected to fox lake through ackermans channel. The channel is full of fallen trees and the carp love it.

If the weather keeps up in the 60s it should be another couple of weeks before they start. The buffalo will should start in about two weeks. Buffalo spawn for a shorter time but the carp can spawn for up to 2months. There is no limit on rough fish

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.