ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying a few spots in between the bridges listed in the title. I fished a few spots last summer from June to about Sept., but never had any luck. Has anyone had good luck in that stretch of the river?

·
Registered
142 Posts
There's a lot of smallie action in that stretch of river, also up & downstream of that area. Alot of little ones but there are some big ones in there. Get in there with a jig/twister or spinner and you should get some.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got 4 SMB onna K-mart "Laser Minnow" crankbait and a #8 X-Rap. Tried Chatter Bait, and 1/8 jig with a split tail body but nothing until I switched to the cranks, fished very slowly on the slower not quite slackwater areas near rt 52. BTW this was Saturday afternoon from about 2:30 PM to about 3:30 PM

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, I went to a fishing shop down on rt 30 by I-55 called Strictly Fishing and one of the guys working there suggested I try some Watermelon colored senko's in a texas rig.

I'm used to fishing for largemouth with this setup, but I wasnt aware that fishing a river with it was good. I did see another member had some luck with senko's in wacky rig setup. I don't have a lot of river fishing experience, mostly southern state ponds and rocky mountain lakes.

I think I'm going to drop by the store and pickup a few new crankbaits..minnow and crawdad, maybe some light spinners too.

I was told that the drop bait style lures will be my best bet while the waters still cold and anything moving too fast probably wont be hit on.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I like that section of the river alot. Right now jig & grub or yum craw bugs should work for you. In the summer my favorite bait is a senko wacky rigged on a weedless hook or texas rigged. I have had alot of luck with a texas rigged lizard.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live in the area, and have some relatives that actually live 10 feet off of that section of the river. I was thinking come summer I'd be looking to wade the river from the caton bridge down to just before the current gets really strong near the damn. If anyone else would be interested in that let me know. I can't receive PM's until 10 posts, but it shouldnt take me too long to get there.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've been fishing the senko wacky rigged the past couple weeks because with the water so cold, I don't think the bass will travel very far or hit very hard. So my thinking was to get something in front of them that looked as real and lively as possible. They hit very lightly also, just feels like a weight on the end instead of the twitching you might feel when the water warms up and they get a little more aggressive. At least this is my thinking. Has anyone else found this to be true?

·
Premium Member
11,485 Posts
Used to do good early on 2 inch curly tails. White or black depending. Picks up a few crappie too. Too bad it rained I was getting urge to try spots not far from me.

·
Registered
540 Posts
In the Spring when the Duper (or any other river around here) is cold and all we have are overcast skies, sloooow is the way to go. I agree with the wackey set up, but for me the Senko is a little too large and heavy. My preference is the same technique with a small finesse worm like those made by Gulp and a bb split shot up close if the current won't let it fall. I do the same with micro cranks or 1/8 oz Roadrunners w/grub, go very slow and anticipate just a slight feel of weight or no movement at all.
Come on Spring!!!
/beer

·
Registered
142 Posts
I got out today, but about 5 min. before I got to the place I was gonna fish it started to sleet. So I tried it anyway. Corn on a bottom rig and a crappie minnow under a float in slow water. No luck, sleet turned to rain so I packed up & went upstream about a mile and tried for a few, nada. Boots were wet and so were my gloves so I took a ride down to Channahon dam. Saw a guy just getting done and he said he didn't do any good either.(he was using worms). Oh well better luck next time out. I'de like to hit Lassale Fri. but it doesn't look like the weather is gonna cooperate, we'll see.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree that the senko can be a bit large. I tried the 5" first but I think it was just a tad bit too big. Plus, i think it has a little less action than the 4". So that's where I've been having my luck, with the 4".

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is the first season that I'll be using the actual senkos, I've previously used many different plastic worms, but not the senko design. I only have 5" senkos...when I went out to restock my tackle box they had a special on gambler brand but only had 5"...they told me cutting them to 4" may not be a good idea since it could affect the action, but the deal was buy one get one free...so I figured I'd just get myself 4 different colors in 5" and only pay for 2.

Is the 4" senko a key item for any tackle box? I try not to buy tackle that I may never use, made that mistake a long long time ago when I first started fishing and ended up realizing that only about half of the tackle I had was something that fish would really like. Ended up retiring probably about 50% of the item in that box....never toss em, but they just collect dust now.

·
Registered
540 Posts
To be honest, I don't buy "Senko" brand assuming we're not talking generics here. Cost and the fact colors I'm looking for end up being out of stock. Give "Case" plastics a try. The Big Sticks and Little Sticks have been very very good for me. Drop shoting there small "Paddle Sticks" is great this time of year as well (all year for that matter).
/coolsmoke

·
Registered
188 Posts
In my last reply I said "senko" I use that as a generic term for the type of worm. I actually prefer to use yum dingers or I have been buying "senko" style worms in bulk from ebay. I have had great sucess with both 4" and 5" it just depends on the day of what will work. My two favorite colors are watermelon candy and junebug

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That reminds me of something I saw a few days ago when I was out about a half mile south of the Black Road bridge. There was...I guess it would be a "sand bar" made almost entirely out of mussel shells.

There were so many shells that I could dig with my boot and not see dirt. The thing was probably 15 feet wide at its max and about 20 yards long.

Are those freshwater mussels that something around there was eating? Or is there another explanation for the massive amount of shells?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Still to cold, went out last weekend and nothing yet. Seems like everyone is talking slooow lure sloooow retrieve. Its a river nothing happens slow.
I prefer fast and furious no matter what time of year it is. always done right by me, try something different it might surprise you.
Goos luck and see ya on the river

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have not hit the river yet this year. I am hoping tomorrow but last year at this time I used a 1/16th ounce jig with a nightcrawler and did pretty good I think the biggest smallie was 12 inches but remember doing very well with the rock bass up to 1o inches and half pound...

On a side note always get a little chuckle ever time I see someone post for dupage county lakes when this is for the dupage river...I guess it does not matter where you post as longs you get good fishing information

1 - 20 of 55 Posts