ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke to the DNR in Springfield about the HP restrictions a while back. They are willing to reconsider including Shabbona in the no-wake pilot program with the other 5 lakes _IF_ they are requested to do so by enough people.

The way this works is as follows: You need to send an email or mail a letter to Mike Conlin who is the current cheif of fisheries. In your correspondence you must ask him to amend administrative rule #110 to include Shabbona in the no-wake pilot program and detail your reasons for this request. Mikes email addy is is: [email protected] If he gets enough requests he will initiate a process to include Shabbs in the pilot program. To do this they must first request commentary from the public via a press release and via their web site. If they get enough public commentary supporting the plan, it will go to vote by the GA. If you want this to have a chance of becoming a rule change in 2004, you will need to get your emails and letters off ASAP.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm really not sure if we should be debating the motor regs before we try and fight the hours that the lake is accessible to us. There are many people fighting to keep the motor reg in place and I don't think they can be swayed...especially after that jackass tore the barrier net by the dam with his 40hp causing a HUGE amount of muskies to end up in the creek :evil: . Personally I'm glad the 10hp limit is in place and I hope they never pull it. The only thing I'd like to see is the hours extended. Things are screwed up already out there and if they let 200hp motors on that lake we can kiss this treasure away :)11

·
Registered
315 Posts
The Shabbona Sportsnans club has told the DNR, if they change the HP rule, the club will no longer take care of the lake for them. This is why it will NOT change.

·
Registered
7 Posts
HP Limit on Shab

I know there are several people out there that don't a no wake rule on larger motors, but my 100+ lbs. thrust trolling motor creates more of a wake than most small boats with a 5 HP. I have been told (from the Shab web site) that the issue is a larger motor's wake would be more harmful to the shore. B.S.!!! Consider the polutants that an 20 year old 9.9HP motor puts in the water and the air versus a cleaner running current model 200HP Mercury Optimax.

I think in reality, the people with the smaller boats are jealous of the people with the larger boats. For those of you that don't agree, think about it. Why else would it be an issue? Whatever "scientific" reasoning you create, it doesn't hold water.

The moron with the 40HP motor that is spoken of in one of the posts should never have turned his motor on in the first place. He didn't obey the rules! However, the damage that was spoken of was caused by just engaging the motor on, it wouldn't matter if it was a 5HP or a 200HP. You don't start your motor in a dangerous place!

All it really takes is some common sense to make the no wake rule work. It has so far proven successful for the other lakes that converted to that for larger motors.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Shabbona

I totally agree with you, and think you are right on with the big Merc's running cleaner, than and older 9.9. Personnally, I have and old 1963 OMC and trust me, this thing pollutes more than my 150 Merc.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Great point! Just think of what a BIG 20-40 year old motor will do! :eek: The nail is in the coffin! :)2 LMAO

·
Registered
42 Posts
As crowded as Shab. gets some days, I don't think raising the 10 hp limit is a good idea - just from a safety perspective. The lake attracts more than it's share of idiots and sphincters. If the limit is raised, its pretty dang likely there will be some serious accidents on the water. Let the Darwin games begin.

The lake is not that large that more than 10 hp is needed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I will inform you, this subject is a real can of worms. I for one, am against raising the HP limit. But I am real tired of people telling me what it is that I must be thinking. First of all, I am not jealous of bigger outboard motors. I REALLY could care less if you have a 600 hp motor on your boat. Even if they changed the rule, I can still go faster than you with my 5 hp. I have also been told that "I think that everyone who owns a big motor is a criminal." And that I think that "everyone who owns a big motor will automatically speed across the lake." You guys telling me what I think is like arguing with my wife! BTW, I don't think these things!

I don't like the guys in the 9.9hp boats zooming around the lake. And the jerks who run over people'e fishing lines. And I hate to see the old cast iron motors that pollute. And there are old motors that pollute that are small and big. That argument doesn't float with me. Change the rule, and you just might have some big old 60 hp motors with 16:1 fuel ratio leaving an oil slick on the lake.

I would be all for the HP change if there was someone there to ENFORCE it! And while that person is enforcing the no wake laws, they can also write a few tickets for the 9.9hp boats that are zipping around. And maybe a ticket or two for the the people who run over fishing lines. And a ticket or two for the kids from the camp ground who rent a boat and do donuts around the fishermen. And maybe they can arrest the guys who keep undersize fish, and I've seen quite a few of those! One guy had some little walleye and was bragging about the big perch that he caught!

As for the wake that boats leave, maybe the lake should be electric only. Or if they can get some enforcement, then ALL boats should be no wake,
the 9.9hps and my little 5hp too!

·
Registered
597 Posts
First of all, some people on this thread talk like Shabbona is the size of Mille Lacs. THIS IS A 319 ACRE LAKE PEOPLE! We have enough morons out there with 9.9 HP motors OR those that DO have a 225 and use it at around 50 HP. I've seen that too many times!

Jealousy is an ignorant point to make, considering most of us are just concerned about the fishery, NOT ABOUT THE HAVES AND THE HAVE NOTS.

On the weekend the chop on the lake can really get going, add some major HP to that, Banging off the shore and reverberating back out into the body of the lake, you've got an uncomfortable situation!

Another point, No one has spoke about structure! Gets some bafoons blowing through the timber area at 100 HP and you've got some real safety concerns! (If anyone has seen any of the submerged trees you'll agree) Not to mention damage to lower units which, of course, you'll have 1 or 2 of those idiots suing for compensation and/or injury because "That tree wasn't suppose to be there!". Also, the heavy chop eventually destroying some of that vertical structure which currently produces fish all year round! And don't say that it won't, because it will, remember that timber is a constantly decomposing structure constantly battering it will erode that structure more quickly.

I'm glad the Shabb Club would NOT take care of the lake if the HP was increased! They're right......and those that think otherwise are misinformed!

Enjoy! :eek:
PndPr64

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Shabbona

My last two cents, either open the lake to everyone, AT ILDE SPEED, or make it electric only. I can live with either.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I can live with the above statements also, except if you open up the horse power limit, there needs to be enforcement. The guy who chopped up the net by the dam with his 40hp motor is an example of someone who doesn't follow the rules. It would be great for the lake and fishermen to have Park Police on the lake writing tickets to the people who don't follow the rules wether it be big or small motors.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its always interesting to see everyone’s unique perspectives on a sensitive subject come out. Since there appears to be an overwhelming case building here by some posters to leave it status quo, I’d like to challenge some thinking.

The arguments for saving the lake from the bad guys with big motors who will cause more erosion, destroy structure and break the rules are BUNK! The DNR did not create the current 9.9hp restriction to minimize erosion or impact on structure. In fact if you ask them why that rule exists they can’t tell you. It’s an old rule.

Fact is people are breaking the rules every day with the current rule. Ever seen anyone ripping through the no motor zone with a 9.9hp? Ever seen people ripping by too close to another boat? Ever see anyone running around in a 15hp with a 9.9 decal on the cowling? There’s no police out there doing anything about that right now. So, why do we think just because the bad guys with their big bad boats and fast motors are going to break the rules any worse then is already happening?

Fact is that lake has been stocked in part by everyone who purchased a fishing license. Too bad everyone who purchased a fishing licenses does not have a boat which can be used on Shabbona. That is discrimination. If you like to musky fish there are only, Pierce, Fox Chain and Shabbona close to the Chicago area in IL. The chain as we all know gets too dangerous to fish much of the year after 11am. That leaves only one lake to go to close to home if you don’t have a boat that can be used on Shabbona. Musky fisherman don’t typically fish from little boats with 9.9s They need a boat that is capable of making trips to big water musky lakes like St Clair and Lake of The Woods. Often times these boats are bass boats which cannot be outfitted with a kicker. Kicker motors are $2,000+. Not everybody wants to invest $2,000 in a kicker if it would only be used on Shabbona. Perhaps if the local club doesn’t want to support the lake if the rule changes, some other club would like to do it? Threatening the DNR to not take care of the lake if the rule changes is silly. There is a process they follow to base their decision on popular opinion, not threats. The DNR votes on this issue based on the number of positive and negative comments they get through a formalized public request for comment through their web site.

This shouldn't be about people crying about having to share their little honey hole with the bad guys and their big fast boats. This should be about fair and equal access to all by a lake that is funded by all.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have no problem with people driving at idle. Some don't obey the rules, but that's always the case. People do it now, and I have no problem with it, but that's as far as it should go.

I don't need DNR findings to provide me with common sense, I have my own. Some structure will get damaged if the HP limit is lifted! I don't know about erosion, but the timber WILL fall, that's not a fact just common sense.

About the Musky Boats needed for big water. That's a valid point, and I totally agree! They should have no problem getting on the water at idle speed.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Fishermen,
If I recall correctly Shabbona was on the list for unlimitted horsepower and no wake a couple years ago. But all the people around Shabbona and the Sportsmen's club complained and things were left as status quo. Why? Because opening the lake up to all boats will make for more fishermen and greater pressure. If I lived close to the lake and it was my home body of water, I would feel the same way. But don't say it is because of erosion. I have a small 14' with a 9.9 and I know what kind of wake I put out. Since that 14'er is heavy, the wake is very close to size of my bigger boat going 30+ mph. I see this issue from both sides. and I say leave things the way they are. Good Fishing. Paul

·
Registered
107 Posts
From a few posts ago:

"Fact is that lake has been stocked in part by everyone who purchased a fishing license. Too bad everyone who purchased a fishing licenses does not have a boat which can be used on Shabbona. That is discrimination. "

I've heard all this 'discrimination' bologna before. If that's your view, then
all of us that have boats are discriminating against those who buy licenses and have to fish from shore. Let's all pitch in and buy them boats!

"This shouldn't be about people crying about having to share their little honey hole with the bad guys and their big fast boats."

I am amazed that this subject always comes down to name calling and accusations. First of all, I have already been accused on the Shabbona website of thinking "that everyone with a big motor is a criminal and is just waiting to speed across the lake." I have never thought that someone with a big motor is a "bad guy." And Shabbona is not my "honey hole." It is a state park for the public to enjoy. I don't like the 9.9hp's zipping around, I don't like people running across my fishing lines, ... What they need is someone there in enforce the rules. Then open the limit up, make it no wake for everyone and write tickets to those who break the rules.

I would like to see Park Police patrol the lake for other reasons too. Some guy at the launch ramp was bragging about the big perch he caught. He had undersized walleyes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
HP restrictions on Shab

What is it about the basic concepts of READING don't some of you get? GO BACK TO SCHOOL.

The issue is NOT about allowing motor's greater than 10HP to run on the lake. It is about allowing them on the lake at IDLE!!!!! Not wide open.

For thos that need to have a basic lesson on the concept of common sense, picture this. Boat #1 has 9.9 that is 20 years old, leaking oil all over the lake (Shab) going fast across the lake, creating a huge wake that slams the waves against the shore, causing a lot of erosion. Boat #2 is a larger boat (maybe 20 feet with a 150 that is a newer, clean running model) that is on the same lake running at idle speed. At idle, you can't create any wake, so there are no waves to erode any shoreline or any do damage to structure. Now, boat #2 is larger, and definitely costs a lot more and is usually purchased by someone who is more knoweldgeable about the environment and safety. You typically won't see the type of people in boat #2 breaking lots of environmental laws and "rules" both written and unwritten.

Before taking a side, please be aware of all of the facts. Don't assume that allowing a larger boat with a larger motor will overcrowd lakes. For those of you who believe that BS about overcrowding from this, you have been brainwashed by the people that have a vested business interest in boat rentals at Shab. There are NO scientific facts that prove this. FACT is that at Rock Cut State Park, there is no increased boat traffic from allowing larger motors on the lake at no wake (idle only).

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have heard the argument about the old smaller engines that pollute more than the big new engines. This is a true argument, I cannot disagree with you. But, if you open up the hp limit, it is quite possible that people with old big engines will visit the lake. Like a boat with an old 1960's Evinrude 60hp with a 16:1 fuel ratio. The exhaust is blue and leaves and oil slick on the lake. So let's put this argument to rest. Raising the hp limit or leaving it the same isn't going to eliminate polluting motors.
If you wanna do that, then you need to ban older motors on the lake. Then all those guys will scream discrimination.

My whole arguement about this subject is that there is no enforcement on the lake. I would be for raising the hp limit and making the whole lake no wake, if there was someone to write tickets to the folks who zip around.
I have been reading all the posts here and elsewhere about Shabbona. The problem with enforcement is the DNR is stretched so thin, they can't send anyone out to the lake. I don't like the 9.9's zipping around! Or the campers who rent a boat so their kids can run over my fishing lines.

I may sound like I'm against raising the limit. Actually, I'm in the middle of the road on this debate. And I'm tired of people telling me that I'm jealous of big motors. Yeah right, like I'm jealous of jet skis since they aren't allowed on Shabbona! My main point is that we need enforcement! I saw a guy bragging that he caught some big perch, they were little walleye. Would you agree that this guy deserves the DNR to come down on him??? I think that if there was someone there to keep an eye on things, it would be fine to change the lake to no wake.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hey Golfing,
If you don't think idiots own newer and bigger boats, you haven't been to the Chain of Lakes lately!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU WAN'T TO SEE MORONS ON BIG BOATS, GO THERE! YOU WON'T HAVE ANY TROUBLE FINDING THEM!

I rest my case.
Pond

·
Registered
531 Posts
Interesting debates on BOTH sides. The MAIN problem is that Illinois (particularly northern Ill.) has no reservoirs like MO, KS and OK, KY etc etc etc. When we do construct a "lake" for fishing, we make it a toy lake where any erosion, pollution etc is magnified a hundred-fold.
We also make it with rules out the wazoo....(we like to boss folks around here in the Chicago area !)
As the owner of a Ranger with a 200hp on it, I can honestly say that when I go to Shabonna, I leave my boat home and rent. This is VERY expensive but what else can I do?? PLUS....I'd look like a nut on that lake with my Ranger when everyone else is in a little boat....I'd feel foolish.
The only other boat/fishing options we have here are Heideke (don't make me laugh!), the Illinois River (I de-louse the boat when I get home), the Fox Chain (Makes a NASCAR race look slow!), and a couple other industrial type lakes. WE DESERVE BETTER !!
Back to the debate however....NO WAY folks with big motors will idel all the time. Speeds will creep up with the nudge of the throttle.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts