ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:-D I was tasked by our companies owner to research Lake michigan charters for approximately six employees,some general dates for expected quality fishing and any positive experiences with specific boats would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
We currently have two charters that are sponsors here and both are excellent Captains! I have fished with both and they are top notch guys, have top notch boats and equipment and will put you on fish. There is a 3rd Charter service that will be a sponsor probably by the end of the week and they're not bad either 8:) but per CLF rules, I can't mention them as of yet (hopefully by the end of the week they will have their banner up!)

Anyway, click on the links to the left for Addiction Charters and for LuckyDog Charters. Call them both, talk to them both and see which one seems to fit your style. Like I said, both are good guys and good fisherman, either one will be a good choice :)2

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
To those of you posting other charter names, sorry but they have been removed to protect the sponsors here. We don't allow the public posting of compeitor's info. If you have had positive experiences with a certain charter and want to share that info, just pm him the info. Thanks for your understanding...

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Tubes77 said:
We currently have two charters that are sponsors here and both are excellent Captains! I have fished with both and they are top notch guys, have top notch boats and equipment and will put you on fish. There is a 3rd Charter service that will be a sponsor probably by the end of the week and they're not bad either 8:) but per CLF rules, I can't mention them as of yet (hopefully by the end of the week they will have their banner up!)

Anyway, click on the links to the left for Addiction Charters and for LuckyDog Charters. Call them both, talk to them both and see which one seems to fit your style. Like I said, both are good guys and good fisherman, either one will be a good choice :)2
does this mean you finally are going to be a sponsor?

·
Registered
281 Posts
This was wierd!

So basically anyone giving an opinion on charter should not say anything and only PM the person asking. I was not trying to take business away. I was suggesting if the person is looking for a charter out of Chicago. Does this mean if someone ask an opinion of where to buy some tackle we can only suggest your sponsors only?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Posted: 06:51pm - Apr 7,08 Post subject:
To those of you posting other charter names, sorry but they have been removed to protect the sponsors here. We don't allow the public posting of compeitor's info.
I don’t believe what I’m reading here. Your saying that we’re not to mention charter boats other than the 2 on the left that are in the same harbor and not in Chicago? Have we stopped talking about Canadian outfitters other than Angler’s Kingdom? I use Case Plastics and everybody talks other brand names. I have fished with Dave and will again this year (I hope) but I would still like to hear what’s going on elsewhere. What other “sanctioned” censorship is going on here? I didn’t sign up for this.

:)11

Did I mention I'm pretty good at hanging wallpaper?

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
fishnmagician said:
LOL good one :p

I didn't see what was posted but I'm guessing the other charters mentioned may have been from the same harbor as the ones that advertise.
If that was the case (no pun intended) I see why they would have been pulled.
In the past if someone mentioned someone who charters from a different harbor we let it go, as long as it wasn't the actual charter boat captain doing the posting of it. ;)
Instead we would usually send a PM or make a post and suggest they mention to the Captain that he should consider advertising.

It's just a matter of treating our sponsors fairly.
Much the same as if someone was giving free press to a direct competitor of Kevin's on Nungesser lake.
If someone had a bait shop down the block from Lee's we wouldn't want them getting mentioned if someone asked about a bait shop near Arlington Hts. Rd. and Higgins.

We should cetainly promote the businesses of our advertisers first.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Info posted

Listen guys just wanted to say your sponsor charters are GREAT CAPTAINS tho I have never used them, I do know thwm. They are experienced and are top notched. In my post which was removed I posted that if the individual was looking for a charter out of Chicago I reccomended one which in my opinion would be an option. He did not tell us what location he was looking to charter from. This is why I gave him my opnion tho it was removed. I feel in no way it infringed on any of the sponsors area. I understand your point and I also due order and use some of your sponors products and spend alot of money with them. But under certain circumstances I would suggest alternative if a person lived within an area and needed a particuliar item within a specified time. The question to you would be lets say a Charter was terrible and you and many others had bad experience with him and he was an BIG DOLLAR sponsor what would you do than?

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Ed said:
fishnmagician said:
LOL good one :p
Who hangs wallpaper anymore? ;) Maybe you need a trained installer of te new Aura Paint. ;) PM me.

Is this OK? ;)

On another note, complain, complain, complain, and yet they don't subscribe. Subscibers get to complain. Complain, complain, somplain! 8:)

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
To answer your question kenfast, we would strongly encourage the sponsor to respond to the complaints, and to even do so on the forums.
Interaction with their customers, as I see it, is one of the benefits.

Joel, Aura isn't all it's cracked up to be IMO, toooo expensive for the average consumer to even consider, and the 1-coat claim isn't necessarily true.
Been there done that ;)
Now enough of the free press and slight hijacks, things are slow all over.

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
To clear things up, there were two responses with charter recommendations. One was the downtown Chicago guy, the other was from a charter in the very same harbor as Lucky Dog & Addiction and it was from the charter themself making the post. In fact, it even mentioned serching for their site and that their site would come up number one in said search. To me this was an attempt at using CLF for advertising on the net, one they weren't paying for. The other post was an honest recommendation from a satisfied customer but I felt the best thing was to just pull them both and ask that they pm the info instead of pulling one and trying to explain why one was pulled and not the other.

CLF has and always will do our best to be fair to the sponsors and evaluates each case individually. For example, Salmon Stop is one of our longest and most valued subscribers, but we do allow posts mentioning other bait shops if we do not consider them direct competition. Obviously a guy asking for a bair shop near Naperville is not going to drive to Waukegan, so we allow the mention of other shops.

This poster asked simply for Lake Michigan charters and did not specfically mention a harbor. In that case, the right thing to do is recommend the two sponsors who go out of Winthrop Harbor.
Heck if anybody wanted to break the rule it would have been me! I'd love to have posted info or even pm'd the guy about our OWN charter but I will not do that until we are officially a sponsor! Yes, we are finally becoming a sponsor. We talked to Jim and to Dave and told them that we were getting mentioned already here, so it wasn't fair to CLF to NOT become a sponsor. They both had no problem with it, so we are in the final steps of getting our banner up. That being said, I will STILL recommend either of them. It was no BS, I HAVE fished with both of them and they are BOTH dammed good captains AND they are supporters of this site.

Sometimes people forget that that "support" comes in more ways than just the check they write. For all of the guys who have their own boats and fish LM on the weekends, how much good information have you got from Jim & Dave's reports on what and where things were happening? Just think of the time and fuel saved knowing the fish were in 60-90 FOW. 40 ' down etc etc... because these charters take the time to post what it going on out there. If that isn't worth protecting, I don't know what is.... Call it "censorship" if you will, but we aren't limiting your posting of your personal thoughts or opinions, but trying to help those who help the site.

No apology forthcoming....

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks for the explanation!

I do understand and support your sponsors as they are trying to run a legal charter business. Note the expense and paperwork involved in charters. Registering and getting permits from the DNR. Insurance, drug testing etc. I just found out today even if you run boats for other charter company you still have to register with the DNR not just the Captain also your Mates have to be listed. Many people think just get your license and you can have a charter business, not really the way it works. So you guys out there support your Charter Sponsors and make sure your booking with reputable and legal charters.

·
Premium Member
6,424 Posts
Paperwork lots of it, seems like 2 trees had to be cut down for all the paper work we have to fill out and that is not even counting the apps for the Wisconsin guides licines.

Rods are already to go, Eletroincs hooked up and good to go, putting the riggers and rod holder on this weekend and launch on the 16th...Can't wait to get back out on the water

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm looking forward to fishing reports from Jim & Dave so I know when it's worth the expensive gas to start trailering back and forth to NP. Hat's off to you guys for sharing a wealth of info in the past years that helps us amateurs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts