ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read lots of reports of the current water temp. in they lakes or rivers people here fish, probably from using a fish finder/temp. gauge on their boat. I was wondering what the best method is for obtaining this info if fishing from shore? I've been looking at the Hummingbird castable depth/temp. finder and thought this might be the answer to my search. Does anyone have a better way?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a simple device that tells you water temp and depth.Its a clear plastic tube that has a thermometer inside . On the back of the thermo. there's a depth chart. Attach to your line and cast. It sinks to the bottom and small holes let water into the tube. When you retrive it you read the water temp and the water in the tube will tell you the depth according to the chart on the back of the thermo. The device costs around $12? needs no batteries and fits in your tackle box. It's a handy tool for shore fishing when you need to know the depth and temp your casting to. I found mine at the old Ed Shirley's but I have seen them at other tackle shops. Hope this helps.

G

·
Pet shops sell these little black stick-on thermometers for fish tanks. I used to have one on my minnow bucket, I've since destroyed it and not put a sticker on my new bucket.

I don't do a lot of bait fishing anymore, but those stickers would easily stick to a Zara Spook, or a similar lure you could toss out and get a reading on while fishing.

My Dad uses an old floating glass fish tank thermometer inside his mino-troll, it's tethered to the inside of the bucket.

·
Registered
356 Posts
firstcast said:
I have a simple device that tells you water temp and depth.Its a clear plastic tube that has a thermometer inside . On the back of the thermo. there's a depth chart. Attach to your line and cast. It sinks to the bottom and small holes let water into the tube. When you retrive it you read the water temp and the water in the tube will tell you the depth according to the chart on the back of the thermo. The device costs around $12? needs no batteries and fits in your tackle box. It's a handy tool for shore fishing when you need to know the depth and temp your casting to. I found mine at the old Ed Shirley's but I have seen them at other tackle shops. Hope this helps.
Ahhh yes, good old Ed Shirley's. What a great bait shop in a terrible neighborhood.......lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts