ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught my first Coho yesterday @ belmont while fishing for perch. A 5 pound coho is pretty fun on perch gear.

Ive gilled and gutted it and its in the fridge waiting to be bbqd tonight. I'm looking for suggstions on how I should filet it from here. Im familiar with fileting crappie and walleye. Do you filet these the same way? Do you leave the skin on? Its not quite big enough to steak.

Also any suggestion for grilling one of these puppies.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
228 Posts
hhhmmmmmmm.....cut head off,rinse good...take some black pepper,cayenne pepper,oregano,sea salt rub inside,couple pieces of butter and lemon juice for the inside...tie shut with some kitchen string....sprinkle with olive oil....wrap with tin foil and seal....put on open fire for bought 15 mins...when done be very careful,very hot....skin should peal off easily and take a fork to remove each fillet....serve with garlic mashed potatos and or grilled asparagus....garnish with lemon slice and sprinkle with fresh chopped parsely......need more send me a message

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey HD next time sent the recipe by private message cause now I want some no thanks to you. He he he

·
Registered
5 Posts
take off the skin it makes it taste fishy and smell up the house and be sure you cut off belly fat thats where all the crap is

G

·
Yes you fillet them like any other fish...I personally use an Elec knife to fillet...But if the fish isn't big enough to make steak's out of...I'd just gut it & cook it...I cook my Coho's in butter with some slices of lemon & sprinkle some oregeno & rosemary on it...Afetr the fish is cooked...Just scrape away the small layer of brown colored meat that's just below the skin...I've never had a coho that had a fishy smell or taste to it..

·
Registered
268 Posts
Fresh fish don't smell when it's properly cared for. Pick up a bag of ice on your way TO your honey hole (99 cents at Mickey D's drive-thru). Bacteria thrives on warm flesh and that causes that fab-u-luss stench.

I fillet coho and cut off the belly meat and (picture a figure :cool: trim the sides to remove any potential health hazards from seeping into my dinner. The fat appears light brown when cooked.

Bone Appetite

1 - 8 of 8 Posts