ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Clinton April 1st from about 11am till dark. Were alot of boats right at the bouys in the hot water outlet. Didn't see anyone catching much for the hour I was in the area. Ended up fishing the shoreline between the warm water outlet down to the 48 bridge. Pretty slow most of the day till later in the afternoon. Then had a pretty good white bass bite till dusk. Ended up with 8 nice whites for the frying pan and also had a couple decent crappie and 2 channel cats. All fish were caught on either tube jigs or silver spoon. Talked to a couple guys at the boat ramp when leaving who said they had about 8 walleye. Not sure what they were using for bait but suspect they were also fishing the warm water area. Also have heard word the plant is shutting down for maitenance in the next couple weeks. Anyone else heard anything about this?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I dunno? But, I did read on another site that there was a large fish kill back in feb or march? Most places mentioned a large fish kill, and said it was being investigated, and didn't know the reason, but 1 post on the site, said from a reliable source that someone at the plant opened the wrong valve, and let some pollotants out.

I can try to find the site and post if you want.

If anyone else has any news on this, I think we'd all love to hear it. I go swimming in that lake every summer and don't need and glow in the dark body parts? I hope it's just a stupid rumor.

Glad to hear the fish are starting to move though.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hadn't heard anything about any fish kills at Clinton this year, but there was a rather large fish kill that occured last winter. It was due to a sudden release of cold water when the plant had to shut down or something like that. It shocked the fish but mostly affected a large number of carp/buffalo and some mighty big flathead cats.

·
Registered
461 Posts
the fish kill happened last year, it was pretty big and was allover the papers. dont see how yours didnt make it. anyway, hopefully the plant will stay online or at least the weather will act like it should. im heading down the 18-21st, hopefully the crappie will be somewhat in.

cray

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ah, that's good to hear.

I'm hoping to head down this Tuesday the 9th. The bait shop is still closed @ the park right?

Is there any place Open to get bait at, comming in from Clinton???

Thanks,

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was planning on fishing clinton tonight. After finding out that the power plant will not be generating today, decided to try shelbyville instead for some catfish. Anyone hear any reports on the cats at shelbyville?Jpollock78 - You might want to call and see if the power plant will be generating before you go...It can make a huge difference.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the guy who wanted to know about bait shops open around Clinton Lake. Rolofson's in Clinton is open, it is right on the main road.(Rt 10 I belive) Also the bait shop in Dewitt is open again. Plus I believe the one at the Green Acres campground on Rt 10 should be open as well.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks, reelman2, Would you happen to know which one sells minnows and what time they open around durring the week?

Depending if I get my motor back by monday, I'm planning to hit Clinton on tuesday morning. If you happen to see a black 18' jon boat w/ a duck blind Attachment on it, it's me.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe all 3 sell minnows. As far as how early they open I'm not sure. The one in Dewitt used to open pretty early, but has new owners so who knows. The one in Clinton I think is open by 7 anyhow.

·
Registered
461 Posts
ive been fishing clinton since the late eighties, always used the bait shop in dewitt. that guy was the best, good live bait, always got about two dozen minnows more than ya paid for. and he really helped us alot when we were still greenhorns down there. hopefully the new owners will try to keep that quality.

cray

1 - 10 of 10 Posts