ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really trying to get anything fired up, but I really do want to know...

Does anyone understand, or can anyone explain, the reasoning behind closing perch season during July? Is there any solid science that makes this a defensible idea, or is it another wacky idea from the faceless bureaucracy?

Maybe it's just me being a skeptic and one of the few lacking a fisheries management degree, but it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. July is a great time for LF fishing.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Many believe the DNR closed the season to correspond with spawning, then argue that July isn't a spawning month. They are correct about the month. Most of the spawning occurs in April. But the perch are not spawning near shore anyhow. One of the biggest spawning areas is 2+ miles offshore in Waukegan.

The DNR never said that they closed July for spawning. They said they closed July because July is the easiest month to catch perch from shore. And actually June is usually a better month to stock up on perch. By July, the water has warmed and you need steady days of west winds to have them near shore. So between warm water, rainy days, and days the water is all churned up, IMO July really isn't the best month, but much of it can still be quite good.

I've always felt that July is shut down as a concession to the commercial guys that have been shut down for years. As a way to appease them, the shore anglers get "punished" too and shut down in July. Don't know that as fact but it does make sense.

·
Premium Member
5,974 Posts
Mayor Daley didn't want ne'er-do-wells such as big saw and Ron G ;) hanging around the lakefront during festival season. :-D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts