ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

closest trout stream

40K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  Crickwalker 
#1 ·
which one would be a closest trout stream from Naperville? Im heading up to west upo to Fennimore where are a lot of nice streams, but 4 hours of driving is lil too long and I cant afford that much gas since im addictive fisherman who needs to go fish 24-7 :lol:

#2 ·
that is about the closest real trout stream, if you go near madison there is black earth and some others around there, but if you drive 1.5 more hours west you get into some real water that is well worth the extra drive. As for trout in illinois good luck...I've found one creek that is spring fed and holds natural reproducing trout in it although they are few and far between it is still a treat, but i'm keeping that one to myself.

Let me know how you do and good luck

tight lines,
Sean

#3 ·
I'm sure we would all love a beautiful little spring creek chock full of little natural browns in our back yard here in the Chicagoland area, however you are simply going to have to suck it up and make the drive. Our backyard is SW WI, Michigan and yes, even eastern Iowa. There's just no getting around it. I agree with the comment above, Coulee country is beautiful. I am always amazed that I'm still in the mid-west everytime I go, but there are still plenty of places to go in the Madison area. I guess I'd rather fish Black Earth than not fish and sometimes a few less hours driving makes it a bit more do-able. Go pick up a copy of Trout Streams of Wisconsin by Jim Humphrey and Bill Shogren and a Delorme and have at it. There's a wealth of information in those chapters.

#4 ·
anhourwasted said:
that is about the closest real trout stream, if you go near madison there is black earth and some others around there, but if you drive 1.5 more hours west you get into some real water that is well worth the extra drive. As for trout in illinois good luck...I've found one creek that is spring fed and holds natural reproducing trout in it although they are few and far between it is still a treat, but i'm keeping that one to myself.
Let me know how you do and good luck

tight lines,
Sean
You didnt find that one in illinois thats for sure..

#6 ·
Bluff Creek is a tiny but deep spring fed limestone stream near Whitewater Wisconsin, about 10 miles north of Lake Geneva. Great Browns and Brook trout in there. I also happen to know where that IL trout stream is, and I agree on keeping it a secret! ;)

#7 ·
Muskie Militia said:
Bluff Creek is a tiny but deep spring fed limestone stream near Whitewater Wisconsin, about 10 miles north of Lake Geneva. Great Browns and Brook trout in there. I also happen to know where that IL trout stream is, and I agree on keeping it a secret! ;)

PSST - Come on - I won't tell anyone!

#9 ·
Gentlemen,
Trout Fisherman are like Ruffed Grouse Hunter's. I know I do both. They are not going to share and relieve information that can endanger and destroy the population. You can fish a area out in a trout stream easily and ruin it with a lot of pressure. I know where they are talking but not telling.
Denny

#10 ·
Denny said:
Gentlemen,
Trout Fisherman are like Ruffed Grouse Hunter's. I know I do both. They are not going to share and relieve information that can endanger and destroy the population. You can fish a area out in a trout stream easily and ruin it with a lot of pressure. I know where they are talking but not telling.
Denny
Lighten up - it was a joke

As Fliesonly mentioned, NE Iowa has a great trout program with both stocked and reproducing trout. The streams are small and crystal clear. I've been there a few times and had lots of fun and plenty of fish to eat!

G
#11 ·
Around Whitewater is OK, too much private property though.

Mt Vernon creek is blue ribbon and catch and release as is Dell creek by Baraboo.

Artificials only.

AS for secret trout streams, well I might or might not tell someone about my favotites like I just did now. I consider these streams hard to fish and like my old BSA Victor, if you can start it you can have it.

Why? Because Trout are not like stupid fish in a barrell. They see you and they get lock jaw, they hear you, smell you, even think your boot hit the water and all bets are off. Simply put they are the hardest of all fresh water fish in the smallest bodies of water to catch and most guys are too stupid and lazy to learn the finesse and art of catching them.

And best of all the wardens up in WI are real nice about catching the morons who park at bridges and start splashing around with a zebco and a can of Crawlers on the better streams with conditional rules. I walk in at least a half mile before I even think of wetting lines
and consider that my effort to fish for excellent stream trout is like courting a woman of class and character, a gentleman will never kiss and tell, I 'll just say I met her and she was very fine indeed.

#14 ·
A handful of years ago I picked up an official Wiscosin map of all of the brooks, streams and rivers that were known to the Wisconsin DNR to possess trout. I distinctly remember a stream (or maybe even TWO streams) that fed into Lake Geneva that were highlighted.

Along the northern edge of Indiana, slightly east of center of the state, The Little Elkhart and Pigeon Rivers are supposed to have good fishing for Rainbow Trout. When I drove to Detroit from Chicago, it took me about three to three-and-one-half-hour of driving. Looking at a map, these rivers are not even half the distance. Perhaps an alternative to the well-known creeks a bit west of Madison, Wisconsin.

P.S. - Up until the mid 1930's, there was still a remnant population of NATURALLY PRODUCING, NATIVE Brook Trout in the Kishwaukee River in Illinois, around Marengo, Belvidere and Rockford. Driving along the Kish in those parts, it is not diffucult to image their presence. It is very sad they disappeared.

#17 ·
I am pretty sure that the northern IN streams are all stocked. I don't believe they receive multiple stockings a year and doubt the water quality supports hold-overs. There is a stream in southern IN that is now considered trout water that does support hold over fish. However it would be quite a drive.

Rock Creek is on the IDNR put and take stocking list.

#20 ·
The state park, especially around the foot brisge gets very crowded during the weekend. If you can get away, during the week is much better. Also as the weather warms there are lots of people swimming and floating. Parking lot was packed a couple of Sundays ago. More cars than I'd ever seen. We walked a ways up stream and managed to have a chunk of water to ourselves for a while.

#21 ·
:eek:
Now I know that many of you'all know each other and are offering some sound advise for other fisherman, but I also know that there are rapist (in the sence of the fish) that have their ears on. Fishing spots are like great friends. You love to visit them often and bring only a precious few visitors. No one would ever tell another to knock on his friends door without being shown worthy of an introduction. You know what I mean Vern... :)2

#23 ·
Local trout stream

I have been out to McGraw in Dundee a few times, They have a pump house that sits on the side of the fox river vally thats creates a trout stream pumps water up to the top of the hill and it flow back down, and what a nice one it is. Pools, bunkers ect.

Too bad it cost a arm and leg to be a member, but I am sure there is a waiting list anyway. (it's nice to have rich friends) been bird hunting there quit a few times nice club.

#26 ·
I have been out to McGraw in Dundee a few times, They have a pump house that sits on the side of the fox river vally thats creates a trout stream pumps water up to the top of the hill and it flow back down, and what a nice one it is. Pools, bunkers ect.

Too bad it cost a arm and leg to be a member, but I am sure there is a waiting list anyway. (it's nice to have rich friends) been bird hunting there quit a few times nice club.
I met a guy recently who said that McGraw periodically overflows, dumping trout into the Fox. Says that if you fish the mouths of the various creeks on the fox, you can occasionally hook into a rainbow.

#24 ·
This thread is dead! If anyone looking at this is considering northern Indiana Id look into salt creek. Its a lake michigan tributary and I saw the biggest steelhead Ive ever seen take a 3 foot jump out of the water. Its horribly inaccessible unless your willing to trudge through the muddy bottom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.