ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. This is my first spring fishing up here, so I am not sure what to expect. Every week since early march the fishermen I have talked to at montrose have said "next week will be better, the coho will move in". Well, from what I have seen, the never arrived in great numbers. Are the coho going to arrive or is it over for the spring?

G

·
The quick fluctuations and both the air and water temp have really messed with the Coho this year. I’ve had days where all I caught were Coho, the temp drops and it’s most Browns. This mild winter and hot spring really warmed the water fast and it may not pull the fish in that close to shore. If you go back and read some of the old LM posts Striper01 and some others did real well in February, which was my best month for Coho this year. If it stays warm like this the shore fishing may be done, the warm shore water that pulls them in runs out deeper so the baitfish are further back hence the Coho are chasing them out to that deeper water. Saturday at Waukegan we had 48 degrees of water out to 38 feet, that’s one hell of a cast from shore but we did get plenty of fish in four hours.

·
Registered
78 Posts
On 2002-04-17 08:24, Marc wrote:
Saturday at Waukegan we had 48 degrees of water out to 38 feet, that’s one hell of a cast from shore but we did get plenty of fish in four hours.
Hey Marc I wanna learn how to cast that far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Marc,

Very informative post, thanks. So with the prediction of colder weather this weekend mean we'll have a better chance than the last two? I too have heard time and time again that next week will be better; those guys are starting to sound like cub fans!! (GO CUBS!!!!) Also, based on your warm water running out deeper fact, should I set my powerline as deep as I can? (With no floats.) Any thoughts would be welcome, thanks in advance.

Don't eat too much
Gus

G

·
Gus, I fish LM almost every weekend and when I can during the week. When I get the chance I will post as much information as I can including water temp and the depth that I find the temp breaks. If the weather cools down enough to drop the water down about 4 degrees or so the coho will come back to the warmer shoreline water for forage. Keep you fingers crossed and good luck.

·
Registered
175 Posts
As you probably saw by my last post I put my coho stuff away cause the last 2 weeks have been slow to say the least. Lake water temp 50 today so their gonna be deeper, and with a 161/2 foot boat they are out of my range. I fish close to shore and the hot water discharges but believe it or not this is about the time they move out and I start fishing the Illinois River for whites if its not flooded. But this entire coho year has been slow. I guess it all evens out, had by best chinook year in about 10 years last fall so why should I complain but I know what you shore bound guys are going thru, before I invested in a boat and was still working, I used to live for harbor and pier fishing, had the CO 2 cannon , the whole 9 yards and it was the only way for us to get at them but I think this year is a no show for them, mild winters might be changing everything. Bigger boats with downriggers and dodgers and flies should start doing good up north any day.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Marc,
Thanks for the response. It's this kind of dialog that makes me realize what a bountiful resourse this web site is. I too will post as much information as I can, after I've been out to the shore, when I am able. My experience is very limited in comparison to yours, and I'm very grateful for you sharing. I am interested in getting more information about contributing to CLF; do you guys have any? I just really want to do my part to keep this site right where it is.

Striper01,
About how deep will a good co2 cannon shoot off the end of montrose? I have a harbour map of it but it's hard to say how far I'm shooting and how deep it is. Just a guess would be fine, because I really have no idea. By the way, my tank is brand new and I've only had two shots with it.

Thanks to you both
Don't eat to much, but hoist a few.

Gus

G

·
I fished the north side of the Aquarium on Tuesday using shinners and brought in five cohos in two hours from 10am till noon. They were about 3 to 4 lbs. Then the wind changed and the fish were gone. I left around 1:30 with a hell of a sunburn. I was really hoping to find some perch. Has anyone been catching any lately. I heard the water tempeture has to be about 44 degrees. Acording to the Michigan coast watch the water temp is around 48 degrees today. :)11

·
Registered
175 Posts
Re depth at montrose couldnt tell you. I used to fish burnam and the planatarium and the deepest you could get was 25 ft but you are strictly fishing the top 5 to 7 ft of water so depth really wouldnt apply. I think you mean how far will the cannon shoot and that depends upon your weight , thickness of line, tightness of fit in pipe ect. I usually could get it out close to 100 yards or better but then you have to drag it in to stretch the rubber band so I would say if your bobbers are 50 to 75 yards out your doing well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts