ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Depends on what type of lure you want to use, and the color of the water.

Fish feeding on shad?? use shad colored baits. Fish feeding on crayfish?? Use crayfish color baits.

Clear water : I do better with more natural colors...
Muddy water : I like using chartreuse or other bright colors like a firetiger for hard baits.

Rapala : Black / silver is hard to beat in any water conditions.

Flukes / Bass assassins : I like using white, pearl, or "ice flake" because I can see my bait, and I see a strike before I feel it.

Other soft plastics : junebug... motor oil... and other combinations of green, blacks, browns....

Hope this atleast gets you started! If you have any other, more specific questions just throw them out there. Were glad to offer any advice that we can. :)2

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
For Senkos, id use alot the same colors as I would for other plastic worms.
Watermelon.... Watermelon flake... (sort of a greenish color. I usually prefer them in clearer water). Pumpkin... (brown) Green Pumpkin Pepper... (green / brown) Black red Flake.

I even have one bag of pearl white in my bag that I occasionally use in really muddy water, but most of the time I stick to the more natural colors

Personally, all I think you need is a variation of green, and a variation of black. (They come in all kinds of swirls... flake... pepper... etc.) But thats just my opinion!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
u determine if the fish are feeding shad or crawfish by using that type of lure/bait right? or is it weather patterns or..........

·
Registered
144 Posts
color

most people determine what the bass are feeding on by figuring out the forage in the lake

·
Registered
275 Posts
....i know when i started LM fishing my money bait was a YUM dinger (same as senko but cheaper essentially) in watermelon with a chartreuse tail. i still always have plenty of those on hand. rigged weightless or with a small bullet weight ( 1/16 to 1/8) i always get bites on this. Nowadays i rather get bites on hard lures but that its almost always still the first 'stickbait' i tie on when i do.

·
Registered
273 Posts
fishslayer said:
....i know when i started LM fishing my money bait was a YUM dinger (same as senko but cheaper essentially) in watermelon with a chartreuse tail. i still always have plenty of those on hand. rigged weightless or with a small bullet weight ( 1/16 to 1/8) i always get bites on this. Nowadays i rather get bites on hard lures but that its almost always still the first 'stickbait' i tie on when i do.
+1

That particular worm is my favorite as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've had a lot of luck with pumpkinseed colored power worms for largemouth. Fished both weightless and with a small split shot 12-14" in front. Pumpkinseed just seems to mimic a more natural color (for worms) so that's why I have confidence with it.

- Jon

·
Registered
118 Posts
I posted this above but watermelon Senkos are my first choice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts