ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Thanks Oz, I appreciate you keeping us informed on the many issues that you do.

·
Registered
161 Posts
convertor box coupons

Don't forget they expire 90 days after issue. Does anyone know if the convertor boxes are in the stores yet?

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
FYI,

Keep in mind if you have cable/dish/ you will not need one.

Quote from previous link info.

"A TV connected to cable, satellite or other pay TV service does not require a TV converter box from this program. ."

·
Administrator
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: convertor box coupons

glencop said:
Don't forget they expire 90 days after issue. Does anyone know if the convertor boxes are in the stores yet?
Yes - I'm leaning towards the Zenith DTT900 ($59.99) but the Radio Shacks by my are out of them.

Write up on some of them.
http://www.freelabs.com/~whitis/electro ... onverters/

As spoonman typed, if you are running off cable you do not need them. Now, if you don't have digital service from your provider you should still be good until 2012. I have some rabbit ear TV's - one in the garage, one in the kitchen.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
The paper said the local stores like Walmart had them for 39 bucks.

·
Administrator
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ffishman said:
The paper said the local stores like Walmart had them for 39 bucks.
Which paper? On-line Wal Mart had a few but for $49.99. For the record if your unit is less than the $40 off coupon you do NOT receive change.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Are there really alot of people that don't yet have cable or a dish service in 2008? :eek: I didn't realize this converter program would be that big of a deal (thinking most won't need them). Guess there's more folks with rabbit ears still going than I realized. Any of you still climb the pole to make phone calls like on "Green Acres"? :lol: Sorry. You all know I'm just kidding. 8:)

·
Registered
450 Posts
I picked mine up at Wal..Mart ... the cost after the coupon was $10.51. I went with the Magnavox version. It does have Another Remote, which has to be used to change the channels, my TV is set to channel 3 like when I use my VCR, and it has increased my reception quality and quantity. I don't believe in paying to watch TV so I don't use a dish and NO way Cable is coming into my house. I don't like being bent over the barrel at the whim of the cable companies.
That said I, for example, get 4 channel 11 WTTW, 3 channel 7 wls, and the list goes on from there. The only problem I have had is when the signal strength drops the picture breaks up or freezes, but I could remedy that by turning the antenna... but that would mean I would have to haul myself up and walk over to turn the antenna... I NEED another remote for that :)6 Ahhh, Life can be so HARD :p

·
Administrator
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maui Jim said:
Are there really alot of people that don't yet have cable or a dish service in 2008? :eek: I didn't realize this converter program would be that big of a deal (thinking most won't need them). Guess there's more folks with rabbit ears still going than I realized. Any of you still climb the pole to make phone calls like on "Green Acres"? :lol: Sorry. You all know I'm just kidding. 8:)
Let's not forget cable outages. Better be prepared for some OTA or *gasp* go without some TV :)33

OZ, who does not, and will not ever have a cable hook up to the TV in the garage!

PS - make sure to pick up a RG-6 cable, much better that the 'standard' RG-59, at least to what I have been reading.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
OK, now I am confused. I have non-digital cable service, and a non-digital TV. What will happen to me in Feb 17, 2009 if I do nothing?

·
Administrator
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jerkbate said:
OK, now I am confused. I have non-digital cable service, and a non-digital TV. What will happen to me in Feb 17, 2009 if I do nothing?
Cable handles it for you, and they say they will stop the service in 2012 if you don't start renting a digital box from them. So unless you are OTA(over the air AKA rabbit ears) only you are fine. As stated before, nice to have it in case cable goes out. Power going out does yah no good because the converters runs on AC.

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
I lost my cable several years ago on Superbowl Sunday. Called Comcast, and screamed and yelled as we had a bunch of people coming over.

I got the total run around, so off to Radio Shack, up went the antenna, dropped the cable down and into the basement and hooked up a two ay switch. Would have missed almost the entire first half of the game! :evil: Now every time I loose cable for any reason, flip the switch. It nice for back up to have good old fashioned TV! :-D

I'll be getting me a couple of boxes for those times!

What I am wondering, is why do they ask if you have cable TVon the email form for coupons?

·
Administrator
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Captain Jim said:
What I am wondering, is why do they ask if you have cable TV on the email form for coupons?
I assume just for analysis. I replied I had cable hookup and requested 2 coupons which I received.

·
Administrator
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Captain Jim said:
I still am a bit unsure if I would need the boxes? Wouldn't my new plasma be digital ready even if hooked to a regular antenna? :-?
Most likely not - they are for the older analog sets. At least that is how I read it.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I have cable, but like pointed out, in case of an outage, just flip the switch, and your back in business.

·
Administrator
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I hooked it up to one of my TVs. DirecTV doesn't carry channel 48 (Me-Too) and with rabbit ears it came through with static. Hook the aerial to the converter, the converter to the TV and ran the set-up. No CBS (2.1 or 3.1?) at all, channel 7.1 & 7.2 had pixalation where 7.3 came in very poorly. The 'ole manually move the rabbit ears around the room had them come in better. The other stations came in fine. Where it was static VIA the aerial/analog pickup the digital was crystal clear.

I did pick up a 6' RG-6 cable (double shielded, saw no quad shielded) to replace the RG-59 that comes with the unit. I should really do a comparison I guess to see if it makes a diff in quality.

There is another option to run it to the TV, using 3 RCA jacks. I have my DirecTV box using the RCA slots for AUX1, directly into the antenna/cable input plug needs the TV set to channel 3.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts