ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made it out with Augman on Sunday to one of my favorite crappie lakes, and we put a hurt on the crappies.
We lost count, but had to be over 200, with 10 over 12" and a 14.5" was the best of the day.
I know people would doubt 200, but we went through over 10 dozen minnows by noon, and we decided to just cast plain tubes, and did just as well for the next 3 hours.
Augie took some pics of the big ones and should post some of them today.
Thanks Augie for making the trip with me.
Yesterday was in the top 3 for all-time trips for crappies.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Re: Crappiefest 4-20

walleye_71 said:
I know people would doubt 200, ...
I wouldn't, those days are nothing but a total riot.
:p

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Walleye_71, Thanks for a fantastic outing!! I don't believe I ever caught SO many crappies of size in one day!! Here's a few pics from yesterday. Thanks again for taking me out!! You forgot to mention about me waking up when I'm suppose to be at your house and then the forgeting of the dept finder and going back :oops: And I forgot how many quads we had yesterday not doubles but quads!! It was hard to fish two poles and maybe next time we might need more beverages so we can laugh even more!! It was a blast and I can't wait to get out on the wisconsin opener!!

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
200 crappies huh :eek: ...lets' see, assuming you were fishing for 5 hrs, that would mean you caught 40 crappies per hour, which would equal one crappie every 1.5 minutes between the both of you.. I certainly hope you two aren't exaggerating your success 8:).

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Fonz, We stayed longer then 5 hrs, they wouldn't stop biting!! We had no excuse for leaving :lol: We might have to go there?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fonzie, I know you're just pulling my chain, but we were out from 6AM to almost 3PM. These fish were on a mission and they were vicious. If you had two poles out at the same you always had doubles where you had to have one pole between your legs so you wouldn't lose your pole in the water.
Augie told me that I was crazy to think that we would run out of bait. You couldn't even see the bottom of the minnow bucket there was so many, and we ended up fighting for the last minnow.
We pondered getting more bait, but after casting the tube without bait, we ended up catching just as many without a minnow.
I've have never seen this lake that hot. With spring being so cold, and then four straight days with 70 deg. weather, it kind of made sense why they were so hungry.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The right conditions with the right presetation 200 fish is definately possible. The size is what amazes me. I have had days like that but catching fish in the 9-9.75" range. And where I fish, size limit is 10" min on crappie. Well done & great pics boys. Seeing those pictures makes me wish I was less busy on weekends right now.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys.
Augie, if you go tomorrow, make sure you have enough beverages :-D
Tomorrow should be even better now that the females are starting to move in.
I would go to John's to get your minnows because anywhere else you're going to pay for what you get and John will give you 3 dozen for every one dozen you buy.
He also has plenty of the tubes we were using.
Good Luck.
Save some for me and don't oversleep again.
Oh, and don't forget the mono. J/K

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
Well, it looks like I'm gonna have to talk to Walleye_71 or Augman69 so I can get in on the action.
If fact, I feel a sudden illness approaching, and I may have to call in "sick" or leave work early 8:), one of these days.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Walleye, All spooled and ready to go w/a few new ultra lites :lol:

Taking the kiddo and going tomorrow, I'd imagine it should be the same.

Fonz, When are you feeling ill? Wed or Thurs? :-D

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
augman said:
Fonz, When are you feeling ill? Wed or Thurs? :-D
Augman, how about Wednesday??? I'll cover expenses, I owe ya one 8:) .

-Da Fonz

·
Registered
10 Posts
Those are some awesome results and awesome crappies!!!!!!!!!!!! I would absolutely kill to have the chance to join you guys for a day of crappie fishing. I have fished a few ponds that hold the occassionall 11+ incher, but mostly small ones in the 7-9 inch range. I'll buy lunch!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
for the good times

It happened to me before, over 1 crappie a minute, until I couldn't stand it no more. This was years ago of course, at ponds in the suburbs, before word got out about this very thing. Then, years go by, and the same catch rate happened, but on 1/32 ounce jigs. In like 10 years, we had to down-size to 2 pound test, and switch to ultra-ultra lite spinning using 1/90th to 1/120th of an ounce jigs because the crappies become so stunted. Crappies a "cyclical" meaning biggest every so many years in lots of place. Can't say they are big like this everywhere. But, some places will have big ones or few to none this year. Good catching guys. You really added some "woomph" to this otherwise dullish topic. Yawn. /yourock

·
Registered
407 Posts
fishing weekends always sucked for me

the best days of the week to fish are allways monday thru thursday. Ebvery job I ever had where I was abole to pick days off, NEVER included saturdays or sundays, unless the Bears, White Sox, Black Hawks, or Bulls were in the playoffs. If the Cubs were in the playoffs, I took those weeks as my vacation to stay away from the CubDumbMonium! /argue :)7 /monkeys /cool :)zz :)30

1 - 19 of 19 Posts