ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just thought that i would share a story of success from yesterday. My father and i were fishing a private club that i belong to in the coal city area. We started in one lake fishing for eyes but no takers. We picked up and moved to another lake. As we were trailing our minnows we hit a spot and never moved from there. We caught crappie after crappie. I cleaned around 30 of them. The biggest one we got was 13.5". The club has a 10" min length. So everything we kept was over 10". We caught at least that many that we threw back. The action started about 1100 and unfortunately we had to leave at 1400. They were still biting just as good as when we first got there. We used Hook and split shot w/ minnow, lead head w minnow, floater with minnow, and i got a few on a small jig with a red and white skirt tube. All in all a good day. I will be back out for more!

G

·
Sounds like the Spring crappie season is abour ready to open up wide here in the Chicagoland area! Congrats on your catch and it sounds like a great way to beat old man winter off your back.

Couple questions as I may be targeting some slabs in my area in the coming days. Were you in a boat? How about depth you were fishing vs. depth the fish were caught at? Any structure you noticed?

All I have to go on as far as my next trip goes is the North shoreline (shorefishing), crappie minnows on slip-floats, and last years weedbeds.

Any pointers would be outstanding.

Congrats again!

-Ed

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We were fishing in anywhere from 8' to 12' of water. A couple of homemade fish cribs were in the area although we caught them well away from the cribs as well. We were in a boat however we were close enough to shore we could have left the boat at home. We were not using bobbers or any other type of float. just slowly cruising in a circle. A very tight circle. Most of the fish were with in 1 ' of the bottom. other fish hit as we were moving faster. There was no significant pattern. Oh and it wasnt a typical crappie bite. They hit it hard once and you could feel the weight of the fish on the line. We did not miss very many. If they bit they ate it. Hope this helps. Any more questions just ask.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I also belong to one of those private Clubs, but east of I 55 on Coal City road in Wilmington. After I read your post I think I just might have to take a ride and get some minnows and check out one of my Crappie spots.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey goose,

I belong to the area # 1 club just on the west side of 55 by cinder ridge. Maybe when we get the time we should get together and combine knowledge. Let me know if you would be intrested. How did your spot work out?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts