ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:-D hi everyone does anyone know where to get some decent crappies in retention or business ponds near carol stream just looking for some c&r fun thanx for anything. take care & good luck :-D

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
I don't fish around Carol Stream so I really can't help.
It does seem though that not all ponds have crappies in them either.
In reading up on stocking ponds many suggest not putting them in due to the fact that are very prolific and can easily take over a pond.
In other words if you want a balanced pond with diverse species then crappies aren't a good idea.

I've never fished a small body of water that had decent crappies and numbers of them.
It always seems it has to be a fairly big pond bordering on what I would call a small lake.

It may be due to that, that nobody responded, I don't know.
I know if I knew a *pond* with decent crappies in it I'd be careful to tell anyone.

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
mr.fish said:
:-D hi everyone does anyone know where to get some decent crappies in retention or business ponds near carol stream just looking for some c&r fun thanx for anything. take care & good luck :-D
mr.fish: I know there are crappies in a few of the retention ponds. I occasionly fish for them with a very small bobber and with a fly that looks like a honey bee. I have the 4lb test line about 2 ft from the bobber. I will give the bobber a few light shakes and then slowly retreive my line in. I seem to have more luck this way than using small minnows. Spring time for me seems to be the best for the retention ponds. If your a fly rod enthusiast it would be much easier with a fly and no bobber. You would probably be catching a lot of blu gills in between.

·
Registered
22 Posts
mr.fish. try a google search for your area and get a satelite view of your area. You may find bodies of water you never knew existed. It won't tell you if there are crappie , but you may find a new honey hole :) . At the very least it might be fun finding new places to fish close by. Good luck.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Do a search using key word "Carol" and then look for the posts by walleye_71. He lives in Carol Stream and had great success catching crappie around there.

Here's a sample of his post. (He gives out locations as well)
walleye_71 said:
Made it to my favorite pond on Saturday with my buddy.
Crappies were right next to shore, and hitting our Mepps as we casted parallel to the shoreline. We must have had 20 of them after making it around the entire pond, and had 9 over 14"
We used his camera, so I will post the pictures after he emails them to me.
Maple Lake and Timber Ridge both hold decent crappie. If you want more specific spots at these lakes, PM me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts