ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching "Deadliest Catch" and watched them pull up an old SUV.... funny stuff.

You can break it into alive / dead category if you want.

Dead: I caught an old shoe one time (I know, right out of an old cartoon)

Alive... the biggest crayfish ever. I swear the thing was lobster size. Well I was a 13 year old when that happened, so it might not have been THAT big, but it was at least 8".

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
No lie, the first fish I caught in Illinois was a catfish skeleton :)33 . Casting a jig and twister tail at the mouth of the Little Vermillion on the Illinois River....just felt heavy, reel it in....and low and behold an intact skeleton of a dead catfish....hooked right in the lower jaw bone. LOL

Needless to say, this guy from the UP of Michigan and Northern Minnesota was not impressed with Illinois fishing that first day.

So...is that considered alive or dead?

Weirdest never living thing I caught was the backend of a TV...maybe a 19 inch. :p

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
From Horsetail in the Cook County Forest preserves, a pillow case full of dead puppies... :(

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've caught 2 bats. One on a caddis dry fly and the other on a drake. I also managed to lasso a woodpecker one time. That was fun to untangle. Dead...nothing out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
403 Posts
My duaghter caught when she was three years old. A Canadian Goose. Tough to land took out the drag like you've never seen. Tough to corral and un hook when you have mom and Dad looking to attack you when you have landed their son. We all came out Un-Pecked.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Alive:
Saltwater:

A large sea turtle.
had run out of live shrimp, and was using cut bait to catch snapper off an oil in the gulf of Mexico.

We got it alongside, and it was hooked in the corner of it's mouth, so we were able to get the hook out and release.

Freshwater:
A large snapping turtle. shell measured almost 3 feet from side to side. We fought over who would have to take the hook out.
Same river, different day: 4ft long watersnake.
Could not have been happier when it shook the hook and swam away, without us having to mess with it.

Dead:
Piece of plywood. about 2x2feet.
other fishing lures, lost by previous fishermen.

·
Registered
489 Posts
A Squirrel.... :eek: How the ____ do you catch a squirrel on rod and reel? Simple, leave it out overnight with a piece of nightcrawler still on the hook. :oops: Hey, I was 9 years old, cut me some slack! :lol: Getting it off the hook, well that took 3 adults scared out of their minds, while the rest of the campers watched the entertainment. Would easily have won the Americas Funniest Home videos, if it weren't for the fact that that poor squirrel was in obvious pain. :cry:

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
The first story that comes to mind is one from 20+ years ago that happened in Colorado. I was casting a crank in the Poudre river and got what I thought was a hit. Whatever I had hooked would grudgingly come in towards me for 3 or 4 feet then it would bulldog back away from me 2 or 3 feet. After a half-hour battle, I saw my catch...the biggest painted turtle I had ever ever seen :-? , hooked exactly in the rear of his shell {that explained his bulldog runs}. I unhooked the guy and he took off, my visions of a record fish shattered.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Waukegan Harbor, commercial drag net. (60 lb test Spiderwire, 1 ounce spoon)

Atlantic Ocean, bikini bottoms, size 5. (on shrimp)

Rich T

·
Registered
216 Posts
six pack

Fishing a creek in Texas I caught a plastic six pack with a bass stuck in one of the openings where a can would go. He'd been there awhile as the plastic was cutting into his scales and skin. Cut the plastic away and let him swim.

Last week in KY Lake, I caught a rock...even got a picture of it!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
About six or seven years ago in the Chicago River I caught a piranha. It bit on a heavy jig head with a piece of nightcrawler. I thought it was a small carp. It was a freakin' piranha. I'm not lying. I know some other stories like this have been reported in the news. I guess what happens is idiot pet owners buy piranhas, then they outgrow the aquarium, then they release them in some local waterway.

·
Registered
356 Posts
axis_roll said:
I was watching "Deadliest Catch" and watched them pull up an old SUV.... funny stuff.

You can break it into alive / dead category if you want.

Dead: I caught an old shoe one time (I know, right out of an old cartoon)

Alive... the biggest crayfish ever. I swear the thing was lobster size. Well I was a 13 year old when that happened, so it might not have been THAT big, but it was at least 8".
They didnt actually catch that truck, it was a prank from another boat if you watched the episode in its entirety.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hooked For Life said:
Atlantic Ocean, bikini bottoms, size 5. (on shrimp)

Rich T
Those bikini bottoms would go GREAT with your hawaiian shirts, Rich......I caught a black, old time desk phone with the dial for numbers out of the Fox river about 5 years ago!!! No answer on the other end...barbed wire once there too!!!

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Shore fishing the mouth of the St. Clair river about 1985 or so... I caught a... Diver! The current there is very strong so you typically use a 2 pound triangle sinker (with wire through it to help hold), so you also use anywhere from 50-80# test (mind you this is for walleye no less :eek: ) Anway, sitting there watching the rod and the bell starts goind crazy (use bells on the tip of the rod to decect bites). I grab the rod and right away I knew I had something huge. There are big sturgeon in there and that's what I figured I had, so I'm reeling and cranking away... after afew minutes the line just kept goind down stream and as I was chasing it down, I see a diver come to the surface! He had backed into my rig and with me pulling on it, he couldn't cut it loose (he said he tried!) so he came to the surface. I had him hooked in the webbing of the harness deal that held his tanks on. I asked him about the diver down flag and he admitted he didn't use one because of the depth and current. Good thing was that he wound up giving me some gear he had collected on the bottom :)2

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.