ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter (18) is going to be needing a car.
Anybody know of a good one for sale?
Yes, she's opinionated, you know, gotta be a cool color, don't like that one, etc., but any suggestions/reccomandations are welcome.

·
Registered
111 Posts
safety

Can't get them enough air bags. I just went thru this with my daughter and have a son due soon. I look for anti lock brakes and bags before anything else. I used to be cop, and responded to too many wrecked cars by teenagers. Also I like cars that scream at you if you don't buckle up. Good luck in your choice.

·
Registered
531 Posts
For her first car (take it from a dad who had 3 sons 18,17 and16) driving at the same time).....get her a beater that you don't have to insure with collisioninsurance. It's the insurance, not the price of the car that kills you. My insurance bill on 2 cars (my wife's and mine) was $1,000 every 3 months when my sons were on the policy!! :eek: None of them had any tickets either. When my sons all got their own "beaters"....they came off my insurance and got their own liability only. My one son paid only $80/month for his liability insurance. Big difference.
Cool has a price....and for teens it's a high one.

They have a long life. Let them work their way up to "cool". They will appreciate it more as well.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've already been through it with my older daughter so I have a handle on all the usual.
Mainly wondering if someone has or knows of anyone selling a car.

·
Premium Member
11,485 Posts
You end all those cool hot neat car conversations with "Honey you might try walking for a bit." I think a small pickup is the best vehicle for kids. Not to much capacity and plenty room in back for empties.

I of course grew up on a farm with about 5 vehicles at any time. Usually I took the '49 Ford pickup cause no one noticed you.

·
Registered
343 Posts
No car
Ed I put my Teenage daughter on my Ins.and it only tripled and she gets a grade discount.daughter 2 not far away :)30

Daughters ouch

·
Registered
323 Posts
Ed a Honda or Toyota cant go wrong especially if your buying a used one.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lukan said:
No car
Ed I put my Teenage daughter on my Ins.and it only tripled and she gets a grade discount.daughter 2 not far away :)30

Daughters ouch
She's actually done well by not getting one yet.
She graduates high school in a couple months so insurance comes out of her wallet. (or my ex-wifes ;) )
I'm pretty much just helping her locate one and give her some advice.
Oh, and I'm sure repairing it when it *is making a funny noise, which of course I'll be suprised she heard due to the loud radio LOL

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ed
Ford Focus's and Dodge neon's are a dime a dozen (Throw away cars) Great for our daughters to bounce off of parked cars, 8" medians, our 3 tier fountian...Her first kill was a 5" dia pvc tube filled to capacity with my practice archery Arrows !!!
I picked up our Focus for $ 5,000 with 48,000 miles on it
It has 75,000 2 1/2 years later....
I have seen some nice used cars out there but they were way to nice for my Demolition derby squad :lol:
Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Be careful what you buy her. Last 4th of July, in Schaumburg, some guy let his 18 year old girl friend drive his mustang. She started speeding, lost control and hit 3 people. For an 18 year old, a 4 banger is a good start.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was pleasently suprised today.
Since dealers aren't open on Sundays we drove around a little for her to get an idea.
Turns out shes grown out of her *I want that* attitude more than I thought.
She said she's perfectly satisfied with anything as long as it's not a big boat, van, or pickup. :)2

Leafed quickly through an Auto Trader and she found all kinds that would be fine.
Sure seems like a whole bunch of cars with 100K+ miles on them though.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Do not get a beater, get something(honda, nissan, toyota) that very reliable or one whatever that you have checked out. You don't want her to have car breakdowns esp. at nite --too many helpful??? nutcases out there. Her safety and your peace of mind is #1

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Ed,
Consumer Reports recently came out with their yearly Car Report. They always have recommended used cars and the least reliable ones. It is worth checking out. As ITHROWEMBACK suggested, Hondas and Toyotas always dominate the ratings. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
I recommend a Ford Ranger, I bought one a couple of years back with a 4cyl that had 100,00 when I bought it and put 60,000 more on it with only general maintenance. Plus there was room for my fishing poles!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Ed it would not hurt to look at Carmax my mom my sister and i have all bought cars from them and 1 friend also in the last 2 years .Really quality cars and i thought the prices werew very competitive.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
aekhoff said:
I recommend a Ford Ranger, I bought one a couple of years back with a 4cyl that had 100,00 when I bought it and put 60,000 more on it with only general maintenance. Plus there was room for my fishing poles!
I suggested that Adam.
But she doesn't even like to drive mine :-?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
get her a saturn cheap and reliable

Don't get a saturn!!!! My first car was a '95 saturn (I'm 24 now...) and within a year, I had pumped over 3 K in repair work into it. Not worth it!!!

My advice would be to get a honda. They depreciate slowly, so if you buy a used one, it will cost a little more vs other cars...but they are really reliable. I've seen many hondas with 200 k - 300 k miles on it (I used to work valet) during college. Plus they have some style and appeal. Get one with a sunroof and a cd player and you and her will both be happy

G

·
Ed, I just picked up a sweet Cherokee off e-bay. My new fishing and hunting toy.

There is a good dealer, not beaters, up in Sturtevant WI
called Educators Credit union
http://autos.ecu.com/cgi-bin/site.pl?12101&seq=3

I just missed a good deal from them on a nice Toyota, oh well.

They list them in the autotrader for a few hundred over wholesale as lease back vehicles. Credit Unions and Leasing Agents are the best bet for no haggling good deals.

Two daughters, lots of grief and no more Dodge or old Fords,
I have a 93 Taurus, an 89 Olds 88 and 94 Dodge Spirit that have in total cost me 10 grand to let them drive and break. They are basically going to hit e-bay soon at no reserve 0 starting bid. New tires, brakes, etc...
Dodge got overheated and needs motor, Olds is a weekly breakdown and the Taurus needs a starter. I'm done fixing them!

Look for Ford Focus, Toyota Corolla, Camry, Nissans, Chevy Aveo and Cavaliers.

Honda is hard to find and unless its a 4 banger Civic is pricey.

I drive a Huyandai Sonata for work and just picked up a Kia for the oldest daughter
Both are solid vehicles with low resale prices.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts