ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got the boat project done (more or less) and got to get out and enjoy a little shooting last night as Des Plaines. Fished the back waters and found a fair amount of fish, especially back in the creek area. I only fished from 10 to a little past midnight, but managed 3 fish. Should have had triple that amount except for some really poor shooting :oops: :oops:

Anyway, here are some pics of the boat project...

Installing the two decks..

Originally installed 6 150 watt lights...

Bought new generator, so I wound up removing the 150's and installed 4- 500's and 2-250's. I've got two more 250's that are going further back along the sides for the scond shooter.

Liked Ejoe's flexible motor mount, so I fabricated one of my own. Much different than his, but I really like the way this thing works. I hit some nasty logs last night and the motor just tilted over them, then sprang back into position... sweet :)2

My 3 victims from last night...

Longest was 21 inches right on the nose, but I missed WAY bigger fish than this one :oops:

Actually was a beautiful night. Not all that cold and little to no wind. Very relaxing with the hum of the generator in the background and the MP3 in my ears playing Ryan Adams while cruising for fish... Can't wait to get out again!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thats a nice boat setup you have there. Looks good! I am fixing my boat up right now also. Nice fish too.

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, now I'm itching to get out again. In fact, I think I am going to try to get out again tomorrow night for a bit, probably back to the same area. I figure each time out is a lesson learned on where they hang out and frequent. I really should have poked a bunch more back in the creek. I did see what was probably a 5+ pound bass in there and a cat that was probably in the 10+ pound range... very cool seeing them just hanging in there...

·
Registered
989 Posts
Nice set up tom. I like the motor mount thats a great idea. Does the deck weigh the boat down much?

·
Registered
678 Posts
ahh fresh blood on that new carpet. now its broke in right. boat looks like a nice set up. you'll look like a mobile lighthouse!

Joe

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
capslayer,

No the deck is not all that heavy. The boat itself has a small deck there already, about 2' wide. Because of that, I only used 5/8" plywood instead of the heavier 3/4". In the back I did the same as the deck sits over the middle seat. Even with the treated 2x6 support, I can lift the deck out easily by myself. Cool thing is that I was trying to figure out how to mount that front deck without drilling alot of holes. Instead, I mounted it without drilling ANY holes! There is a bracket already mounted on the front deck for the avery waterfowl blond for the boat. I notched the deck around the mount, then used two wood wedges on each side tapped into the existing mount. The result is a deck that is in there tighter than a drum and can be removed in literally, just a minute or two. The aft deck is held down by 4 SS deck screws into the existing wood seat. Removing it takes just a minute or two also :)2

As for blood on the carpet, that was a mistake, but not as big a mistake as leaving out the other night without a fish barrel... Just tossed the fish on the boat floor and it still stinks :roll:

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
Bleach gets rid of the smell real fast :)2 One good thing about the fberglass boats, all you have to do is leave the plugs in and fill it with about 2 in. of water and half a bottle of bleach, let it sit and you dont have to scrub too hard. Gets rid of everything but work boot prints 8:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts