ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went back to DCA backwaters last night, shot from about 10 pm - 1am. Last night I wanted to try out a new point I had not used before so I tied one up and set off. My first shot of the night came at the picnic table, shot a common that came off right at the boat... No big deal, it happens. Next shot came at the mouth of the creek. I was tangled up in a fallen tree so it took me a little bit before I started pulling the line in, so by the time I started pulling this fish also came off :evil: I checked the point and I don't know if I hadn't tightened it enough or the twisting fish worked it loose, but it was totally loose. This time I really tightened it and continued into the creek.. Did a fair amount of missing before finally connecting again, only to have the fish come off :evil: :evil:
After the 5 minutes it took to change out my arrow, I started back out the creek, did some more missing and headed out to the island across from the creek. Fist shot out there I connected and the fish came to the boat. After that I just cruised from the island toward the big bend in the back water, connecting on a few, missing plenty more :lol:

Wound up with 6 in the barrel and the knowledge that I don't care much for the one particular point I was using. Probably nothing wrong with it, but just my experience...

My bag for the night.

Big fish for the night, 26.5 inches

My least favorite tip..

·
Registered
989 Posts
Ahh yes the warhead. Its a good tip from cajun but yes it does loosen up on you some times. I shoot the stingaree tournament from cajun and in my opinion is the best one they make. I have not tried the new one thats like the shureshot though. Cajun and innerlok make the best tips by far.

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
Two trips in one week!! Your doing pretty good there Tom :)2 Bob told me once there was something you can do to those to keep them from spinning off, but your probably better off with those piranah points.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would have to agree with end .........

Either the pirranha or the tournement would be a better holding head .
But...............for those of us who have the warheads you can take the head off and peen the threads a little with a hammer and the will hold better.

Bob

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! The biggest fish of the night was one of the 3 that came off (yea, sounds like a fish story, I know). Not huge or anything, but bigger.

I forgot to mention that at one point (pun not intended), I tightend the tip up and accidentally had the prongs flipped over. That actually would not let the prongs lay down, so I shot this fish in the creek where it was real shallow and clear and I actually watched the arrow bounce off the fish since the prongs were locked in the out position. I know, my own fault, but in the dark its not so easy to tell. Years ago when I used to bowfish in Michigan, all I ever used were the Stingaree points, so it just may be that I expected these to act like those...In other words... idiot proof :lol:

Bottom line, is that if I use them again, I just know to pay extra attention to them, but in the meantime, I think I will continue to use the Pirhanna's.

As for two trips in one week, I may go out Friday because my daughter is wanting to get out to see how this all works. Add to that the Fish lake shoot and that will be a 4 trip week... Hey, I got to get in the trips when I can becuase salmon season is fast approaching...

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
Ill bet the bow will be in the big boat once salmon fishing starts in case one of those Lake Mich. torpedo carp come near the boat! :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL!!! I'd like to have it a couple of years back at a tournament we were in at Port Washington, WI. We had a temperorary slip there and I saw some of the biggest carp I've ever seen, just cruising the harbor.... I have a funny feeling though they would not have appreicated me slinging arrows right in the harbor... :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts