ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Started this morning at my brother's private lake and three casts in hooked up a 7.5 lb largemouth. Used Zoom 9-1/2" ribbontail worm coffee color, basspro 3/0 wide gap xps wormhook, 1/8 oz bullet weight on 6 lb mono. Got a couple 5 lb'ers too.

On the Gulf in my yak north of Tarpon Springs I sabiki'd some grunts and pinfish (sort of like catching 3"-4" bluegill) for bait. Using a 4" grunt 2 ft under a float in 5 fow, caught a supper - size black tip shark. Spanish mackerel were hitting hard and steady, an an occasional speckled seatrout.

Water Temps are still around 70, so inshore patterns haven't shifted to winter habitat yet. Flats still have green seagrass, baitfish, and are producing trout, redfish, snook. Mackerel are colder water swimmers, but they are beginning to move in.

Attachments

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Choupiquier, you are correct, the shark on the yak is a bonnethead. That pic is from the previous day. Thursday's shark was a black tip, shown here.

I am posting here to encourage Chicago winter visitors to Florida to experience some excellent freshwater and saltwater action. Having lived and fished in Chicago and environs for 25 years, I know that when you travel (with rod, reel and basic tackle) it's uplifting to know that consistent action is available at a destination, even when you can't lay out $400-500 for a guide for the day.

Temps through the end of December here will be mid to high 70's daily high, and low to mid-60's overnight. If anyone will be visiting Tampa area, it would be a good idea to pack a travel rod!

Appreciate your posts and comments, C. My buddy in Chicago reported a few days ago that Navy Pier is producing bows and bandits.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.