ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where some of the Deepest holes on the Kankakee river can be found. I know of a 14 foot hole and a 16 foot hole. I was recently told that flatheads are being found in 20 ft. holes right now, but I don't know where those can be found.

Much Appreciated! Thanks and have a great fall season!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Searching and no luck

I've been using the depth finder, and maps and haven't found a single hole over 15' deep. I've done this in the past with my uncle and hadn't found any 20 footers then either. I'm gonna have to ask around.:(

·
Registered
755 Posts
feding fish

if you are looking for actively feeding fish, they are out shallower. If you find flatheads on the bottom of a deep hole odds are they aren't real active.

The hot spots maps shows depths but what good does that do. what was the water level when they allege those depths and are they filling up with sediment. The first map I saw they published on this river left off a very well known creek and showed some holes where it was a solid limestone shelf. Take the info with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Flatheads in a 20ft hole are not eating. Guaranteed. They stack up for the winter like cord wood in huge piles. Its pretty neat if you ask me. Anyone targeting them is usually looking to snag through the pile. Been a lot of problems in Wisconsin with that behavior from fishermen.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, for the info and help. I agree, after learning alot more about flatheads I'm seeeing that's not the area, like you all said, that the active fish are. Now I do know of some sand flats 3-5ft. deep directly upstream of those holes which is maybe where they go to feed at night. Either way, my first goal is to simply catch a 15lb.+ fish next year. I'll keep tryin till i get em'.

Thanks again for all your sharing,

and have a good Thanksgiving!

Ray

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been fishing the kank all my life im 41 years old. I know it better than most in my area. Deepest hole I've found is halfway from rt41 to the Illinois/ Indiana state line. And at normal river height it is between 14 and 18 ft deep along a hundred yard stretch along the south bank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts