ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year was an abbreviated trip for the annual opener. With a new job, I don't get to bid for my days off for awhile, so I am at the mercy of working my training officer's schedule. Yami Master also had other family commitments, but when I found out I was off opening day, a quick trip was in order.

The morning started like most opening days with a flurry of action at first light. In hindsight, I actually regret taking pictures because the window was so small and setting up the camera with the timer takes a little time to get going. Five nice fish came to hand in a 20 minute time span with the nicest weighing in a 5 lbs even. Everything was on an original chatterbait with a 5'' single tail grub trailer.

After the sun started to crest the horizon, a cold east wind picked up and the fishing tapered off. I moved around catching a few fish at each spot tried, but nothing picture worthy. For the most part I concentrated on skinny areas of the lake and it seemed that those locations held primarily smaller buck males. I did see some beds, but only 2 with fish on them in deeper water. I was mostly throwing a t-rigged 5'' swim senko. The bites were light and I never saw the line jump or move when a fish would take it. This led to quite a few drops and swing and misses as well. Totals for the day were 17 bass and about a 20 lb carp tail hooked on a jig :oops: I called it a day around lunchtime and head back to the Land of Lincoln to attend Yami Master's daughters b-day party. Coyote and I are heading out Friday, and hopefully the weather changes as the forecast is calling for a cold front. It still beats work though 8 8:)

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Nce job as usual. You "Da Man"

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
Nice fish Matt. Oh yeah nice hat too ;)

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
Hi Matt ; make sure you give me a heads up when the norther bite is on , I got a new recipe for pickeled northern I want to try out.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fishead said:
Hi Matt ; make sure you give me a heads up when the norther bite is on , I got a new recipe for pickeled northern I want to try out.
No problem, just remember they gotta be 32'' at Delavan. Browns Lake down the road might be a better option. All the snakes you want over there.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
funfishing said:
Nice job as usual matt!!! :)2
Thanks man. That was last year though. Yami and I are going to try to get the band back together this year and do it right. Still waiting on the work schedule to come out to see if I can swing it. 4:30 AM on Opening Day is without a doubt my favorite time of the year!

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Oops...... Didn't even notice the dates, I guess I should have known not may yet though :oops:

But as usual you will most likely slay them again this year ;)

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
By the the way, I tried pickled pike for the first time a few days ago.....I have to admit i was not impressed :)3 . I like my fish in batter and leave the pickled to the pickles

·
Premium Member
3,773 Posts
funfishing said:
Oops...... Didn't even notice the dates, I guess I should have known not may yet though :oops:

But as usual you will most likely slay them again this year ;)

Got one past me as well :oops:

So used to seeing Matt slam Bass that i dont even pay attention to dates :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts