ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

The wife has agreed to a short trip to the detroit river so I can get my freak on and quit my bi%$#en. Any and all reports would be apreciated since I havent gone in a few years. I will be going by the stacks in snag alley by Trenton. Is the horseshoe baitshop still open. I know I am asking a lot but if you have ever fished there it is worth it if it is timed right and since this needs to be timed with work, family and other obligations your input would go along way. Tubes do you still have buddys and family out that way??????
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Yes, I still have friends & family over that way, but most of them are quite a bit north. They tend to fish the St. Clair river moreso than the Detroit. That being said, I think your timing should be pretty good if you make it over in the next few weeks. Generally speaking, I would target the first week or two of April for big fish and the rest of April for a mix of size & numbers. Depending on the year though, the run can start as early as late March. It does not look like that is the case this year though! Right now the water temp is 33 degress and not much going on.

I assume you are launching out of Elizabeth park? Just remember that their ramps do not even open until April 1st. You can launch out of Erie Metro and run north if you want. For good up to date info, I'd check the site site over there at http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/

Here's a link to the Downriver Fishing Club where you will find more reports and other useful info. I personally try to avoid their tournament dates but that's not a deal killer if it is the only time you can go. If possible, try to incorporate a week day into the mix if you can...
http://www.dwfonline.com/

As for tackle shops, the place I always go is Bottom Line Bait & Tackle. They are real decent guys there and are very fair. A few years back, LIttle King and I were in there and LK bought a trolling shank and wieght from them. That trip the shank just came apart and he lost the weight. We took it back to the shop and not only did they replace the shank with a new one, they gave him a weight to replace the one he lost, no questions asked! For all they knew, he could have snagged it on the bottom in some rocks and pulled it apart, but they believed us and backed up their product! They do have a website and a fishing report, but they have not started updating the report as of yet. http://bottomlinetackle.tripod.com/

Good luck and let us know how you do. I've got a couple of other trips lined up and probably won't make it over there this year (going ATV riding in MI next week for 5 days and Walleye on Erie later with Eye Spye). Good luck and be safe!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for the info
From what I can see right now there are still ice flows from the north ( did that once and it scared the crap out of us) but looks like mid april till I can get away. Will let you know if we go and how we do

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
This is not the one I used to use, which was downriver, but here is a live webcam located on Belle Isle on the upper part of the river. Right now you can see a lot of ice in the river, which means downriver has ice too...

Webcam

·
Registered
582 Posts
I was just in Detroit for the CCHA Championship and stayed at the Renaissance Center this past weekend... There is a good bit of ice coming down the river... Most of it was staying on the Canadian side of the river, but Sunday morning saw some ice on the Detroit side... Some of the ice flows would cover half of the river....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info!!!!!

It looks to be near the end of April for us now as work is going to put a hamper on things for a bit

·
Registered
269 Posts
I will be there April 11-19.Will post pictures and report when I get back home.Fish are just starting to bite now,so 11-19 should be prime.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like your timing is going to be perfect!!! The chocolate milk and timber should be gone before you get there. WOW 8 days is almost as good as a tropical vacation :)2 :)2 :)2

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The planets were all lined up for a short time and the Detroit river trip was a go until yesterday now it has all blown apart.
There is always next year

Looks like I will have to get my freak on locally so it is a good thing the Fox is waking up :)39

Thanks to all for the info

1 - 10 of 10 Posts