ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadly I've got nothing much to post here. I got out this evening from about 6:30 to sunset. Conditions were overcast and the temperature was definitely dropping as I was out there. Casted on the lake-side of the harbor by the rocks and out as far as I could with a suspending and deep-diving crankbait. No bites.

Saw one other guy out there tonight, and it didn't seem like he was having much luck either.

- Jon

·
Registered
106 Posts
Actually, that was me. I fished a ratltrap and a spoon for awhile with nothing to show for it. I tried tossing a goby around the wall bottoms for smallmouth and browns but just a few snags there. Hopefully with some warmer weather, it will get better.

Marty

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Marty,

I had a feeling that might have been you out there. This is definitely the earliest in the season I've ever started fishing, but I had to give it a shot today. Like you said, hopefully things get better with warmer temps.

- Jon

·
Registered
173 Posts
I rattle trapped out there as well on Monday and Tuesday evening to no avail. I started on the lake side tossing under the bridge and bringing it back against that wall. After that, I went out on the breakwall and tossed it straight out. I tried slowing my retrieve down but all that caused me to do was lose two lures under rocks. If the temperature doesnt drop way down, I'm gonna give it another shot tomorrow.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Guys,

The water temps are still in the upper 30's. Don't expect the bass to get active and start hitting until the temps reach the upper 40's to low 50's.

Cohos and browns will get aggressive when the temps hit the low 40's. That's why natural baits(crawlers, alewife, small roaches) will work most effectively right now. Cast a 1/16th to 1/8th oz tinsel jig tipped with a strip of cut bait 4-6 feet uder a slip bobber right now and twitch it back. You need that scent plus a very slow retrieve. Start tossing the spoons and plugs in mid to late April.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like good advice Westwind.

Personally I'm just too lazy (stubborn) to go out and purchase live bait. Maybe I'm a few weeks too early trying to catch cohos/browns with a crankbait...

- Jon

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for the tips westwind. Patience is not one of my strong suits though (which makes me wonder why i fish), but hopefully we can get some sun and no more snow.

marty

·
Registered
81 Posts
hit up diversy on sunday and caught only one bass. tried the underwater camera and found lots of bass, but would not hit. tried roaches and wax worms. oh yeah i was walking on the piers. could not find perch or gills. hope that helps anyone.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's interesting...an underwater camera huh?

Icefishman, were you in the actualy harbor by the piers where the boats are docked, or the pier (breakwall) out on the lakeside?

I know there's a deep section inside the harbor of 20+ feet right before the tunnel, so maybe that's where they're kind of staging? My guess?

- Jon

·
Registered
81 Posts
i was on the the boat docks,inside the harbor. i checked 20 feet up to 8 feet and found the bass in 12 to 15. i would say about 20 to 30 of them. every year i find them and there are hard to catch. but 2 weeks ago fishing the docks i caught a coho and lost about an 8 lb brown an d many perch.

·
Registered
81 Posts
henry's bait shop has a pier pass that allows you to fish on some piers. but it ends on the 31 of march. you can fish burnam, montrose, dusable, belmont, and diversy. theres around 2 to 4 piers at each harbor you can fish. best bet is to get one next year when the boats leave the harbors. i think it is november. it cost 5.50 or 6.50.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts