ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hit Diversey for a couple hours Friday evening. First off...nothing biting - water temps between 45-47F.

More interesting though was what I found. I was casting on the east wall between the first two sets of star shaped docks. I noticed a random detached crawfish claw and didn't think anything of it. When I was leaving though I saw a couple more. Once I started paying attention, the things were EVERYWHERE. I saw between 25-30 detached claws in a 10 yd stretch.

Does anyone know what may have been chowing down on these? I doubt that the geese would eat them (although the claws were all close to the minefield of goose poo). I was just curious if anyone else has seen this in the past.

If I were a crawdad....I'd consider relocating!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Maybe an otter.
They've been spotted in the Chicago River for the last few years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
there are actually beavers that live under the east wall on the north end, maybe they are responsible for the carnage.

·
Registered
275 Posts
.......The pond i live on has racoons that scour the shoreline at night time flipping up rocks and what not, getting crawfish I assume. Beavers too. I've actually seen skunks do it as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Probably another fishermans bait remains. You should always break the claws off when using them as live bait, atleast I do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts