ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fishing for a while now, but I am going to start fishing more for the type of fish and lures where I would need a leader. So the question is, do you buy the prepackaged leaders or just buy the line and make your own?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Depends on what kind of leaders you plan on using.....

·
Registered
356 Posts
If its just fluoro leaders than I would definately just buy a spool of whatever test line you want to use for leader material and make your own. That would be the most cost effective way.

·
Registered
614 Posts
yep any non-wire leader is simple enough to make your own, just an improved loop knot on one end and the normal knot to the hook/lure/etc

·
Registered
356 Posts
I prefer a Uni to Uni to connect my leader to the mainline but to each his own.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I want to be sure.....

I want to be sure about anything that is between me and the fish so I tie my own leaders, harnesses, etc...

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
eg; I had GREAT results using Ande's line (20lbs+.) for leaders attch'ed., to a 3-way swivel & fishing for toothy critters on Lake Geneva. Had a few break off but I like em' better than wire leaders.

Use it on Lake Michigan also, for almost all lures. IMO?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Once you learn how to tie a proper knot to connect the two lines, it is very easy to make your own floro leaders. One thing you need to be aware of is line diameter, sometimes a superline will not grip a mono correctly if the line diameters are out of wack in comparison to each other.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I musky fish and make my own leaders. Flourocarbon, straight wire, stranded wire and trolling leaders too. Pretty simple.

·
Registered
356 Posts
RiverRat242 said:
Once you learn how to tie a proper knot to connect the two lines, it is very easy to make your own floro leaders. One thing you need to be aware of is line diameter, sometimes a superline will not grip a mono correctly if the line diameters are out of wack in comparison to each other.
That is the reason why I use the Uni to Uni knot because it holds two lines of different diameters together better than any other knot.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I also use the Uni to Uni knot with very good success, however recently while fishing, and wanting to change lures frequently, I wondered if tying a quick snap on and having my lures pre-tied with leaders on them would save time. Not sure how I would store them with out tangling all up though....

But on the other hand I have more confidence in the Uni to Uni than any knot I would tie to a snap. So I dont know.....I guess I'm not much help.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Lure changes

Generally a good cross lock type swivel helps a lure's performance. So, I use a 4' (approx) section of leader tied (with a uni to uni) to a superline with a cross lock at the end. (And, yes, Glenn wherever you are... the Uni to Uni is "glued")

1 - 13 of 13 Posts