ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question. My buddy and I were talking about it and we never really have, but I was thinking about starting this year. I kind of feel like it's cheating, but I imagen it would lead to me boating more fish. If you do use it, what kind?

Marty

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I put a little Kick-n-Bass garlic on my hands to mask the human smell at at the beginning of the day. I don't put it on a single bait as much as a little squirt in bags that don't have any attractant such as Zoom. Good fishing.

G

·
I use the Smelly Jelly Bass Feast. The nice thing about using the gel form is that it stays on the baits for a long time, no worry of spilling in the boat, and like the old Brillcream commercial,"A little dab will do yu."

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use YUM. Instead of spraying my soft baits, I unscrew the cap and dip my worm right in there. It's hard to say if it helps or not. Mike has the danicin' eel with the scent chamber and he likes it. I do whatever I can to stack the odds in my favor. Steriods ajar :)6

Are you going to the southside irsh parade?
I will be hitting Lake Michigan on monday if you want to go.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Matt, Mike needs all the help he can get. Is he partial to the eel because he has actually caught a fish on it unlike the other lures he has?

Sounds like garlic is the consensus so far. Anyone ever try WD40, I heard that it is made with fish oil and is a good attractant because it is pretty water resistant.

Marty

·
Registered
655 Posts
Some of my plastics are scented from manufacture. I buy my tubes in bulk and scent with small amount italian dressing. just enough to mask human or plastic smell, be careful not to use too much, may increases appitite while fishing :-D :-D :-D :-D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Re: Do you use bass atractant on your lures? (if so what kin

PartyMarty said:
I kind of feel like it's cheating
:)5 I dont know why you would think its cheating, just another factor in bass fishing!! I use megastrike but any brand will do

·
Registered
360 Posts
i dont really use the attractants, when im fishing a jig or using a spinnerbait i will cut the end of a gulp worm to use the tail as an extra and i know those kinda have a scent thats about it, ill use rattles to attract them though

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am a big Uncle Josh fan.
I use pork on my jigs up until it begins to dry up.
I always forget to put it in those little packets and I end up with the same sort of mess you get with dried gulp.

I don't use any scent on hard baits.
I use powerbait and some gulp and some Yum, yamamoto and slurpie or whatever.

I fish A LOT of plastics. The only ones I regularly use that i don't think has scent is a slug-os and storms. And for all I know,, they do have scent.

For walleye, I used a bunch of gulp crawlers last year. I felt it stayed on the jig better then leeches and crawlers. And I think the bite count was pretty close.

But guys,,,, I fished Mann's worms all over the US and at the time they smelled like old tires.

And here is an observation anyone can try.

drop a wax worm or part of a crawler into the water around a bunch of tiny gills.
It gets eaten ASAP.
Drop some gulp. They watch it, peck it, spit it and finally MAYBE eat it.

It is not magic and it ain't fish food.
I do think it helps.

I know it took a while for me to learn to set the hook sooner on a texas rigged worm once I began using powerworms. I was getting a lot of deep hooked fish.
They definiately do seem to hold onto it longer than an old rubber worm.

·
Registered
911 Posts
PartyMarty said:
Anyone ever try WD40, I heard that it is made with fish oil and is a good attractant because it is pretty water resistant.
That's a myth, WD-40 is comprised of:

50%: Stoddard solvent (mineral spirits, somewhat similar to, but not the same as, kerosene)
25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant, carbon dioxide is used now to reduce considerable flammability)
15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
10-%: Inert ingredients

That's via Wikipedia, and that info is quoted there directly from the Material Safety Data Sheet for the stuff. While old timers have said that WD-40 works as an attractant it's only real benefit would be that it would mask other more offensive smells on your hands, but in and of itself it's not an attractant.

I currently have an experiment going on in my garage after seeing those new buckets of Gulp! minnows on the shelves at Cabelas. I think it's a good idea, but I'm not about to spend $20 on a bucket of baits. Instead I bought a bottle of the YUM LPT spray ($6) and poured it into a tupperware from the kitchen, and I have a bag of Dingers ($4) marinating in it right now. So basically I'm using Berkley's idea while using baits I prefer for about half the cost. I know that Dingers already have the LPT infused in them, but we'll see if this can "kick it up a notch".

·
Registered
194 Posts
Not sure but I think the theory behind wd40 is that it trails the oil slick look resembling fish oil being given off. One thing I can say for sure is Cluricaun best not let his wife see an experiment going on in TUPPERWARE. I tied something like this once.....ONCE! I'll never mess with a womans bakeware again.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
fishinnut said:
I use the Smelly Jelly Bass Feast. The nice thing about using the gel form is that it stays on the baits for a long time, no worry of spilling in the boat, and like the old Brillcream commercial,"A little dab will do yu."
I like this stuff too, but boy do your hands get smelly if you are flipping a tube or worm. :D

·
Registered
911 Posts
BReyeAN said:
One thing I can say for sure is Cluricaun best not let his wife see an experiment going on in TUPPERWARE. I tied something like this once.....ONCE! I'll never mess with a womans bakeware again.
Oh trust me, I cleared this with her first. I too have seen the wrath that comes with messing with the tupperware. The one I'm using is actually the plastic tub that some ham came in which, since I asked first, was ok to use. I don't even touch the actual tupperware. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you water down the Yum at all? Also, what about maybe poking some small holes into the baits with like a pin or something, to try and get it to seep in even further.

I eagerly await your scientific findings.

Marty

·
Registered
911 Posts
Nope, I just poured the contents of the bottle over a 12 pack of 4 inch watermelon Dingers. They're pretty submerged. I could have poked holes in them, but I don't want to do anything that might further effect the durability of the baits.

My plan is to not use them until I'm having a hard time getting a bite where I would normally feel good using the plain out of the package baits and then switching over to my sauced up baits to see if I can extend or start an otherwise non existant bite. I also think that suspending them wacky style under a float might be good for the smallie bite on the Wisconsin river since there should be a massive sent trail coming off of them. Or not. ;) I'll have to try and see, but of course I'll let you guys know if it was worth it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I like this thread. Many good Ideas here. Anyone use Caine Craw Salt? Me and a buddy were fishing power worms on the Mississippi river's pool 18. We were using the exact same bait, a blue fleck power worm, and we were both getting bites. He started to get twice as many, then 3 times as many bites. I switched colors, switched baits, and couldnt keep up. Finally I took a couple of his worms, saw the Craw Caine Salt on em, stole a couple, and front ended him a little bit til I caught up with him. The power worm had scent already, but his had a little something different. Sometimes that make all the difference. (by the way all my plastics soak in that salt now)

·
Registered
911 Posts
I've heard about Craw Cane before, but I can't seem to find a reputible seller of the stuff anywhere on line. I'd give it a go if I could find it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts