ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a relatively small, but pretty seaworthy boat (17 foot Alumacraft) with an open bow. I've got decent safety equiptment like a radio, gps, pfds, flares, etc. I fish Lake Michigan when the weather is nice, but know that the lake can get rough quick, so there is always some chance of dealing with rough water.

Somewhere I read that it is good to have a second bilge pump. The idea is that if a big wave comes over the bow, and your bilge fails, then you are in bad shape and weighted down with water increases your chances of picking up another wave over the bow. Having a secondary bilge is a fail safe - probably would not need it, but could be helpful if this sort of trouble ever happens.

So what do you think? Is it a waste of money - overkill in the name of safey - or does it make sense. Do other boaters have two bilge pumps?

And another thought comes to mind - is it worth it to have a fuel filter that filters out water from your gas?

·
Registered
111 Posts
You bet

I have a bilge pump rigged with garden hose and alligator clamps to use directly to the battery. There are too many things that can go wrong with an installed bilge to rely on it soley, ie fuse, switch, wiring, pump itself. I would buy one and rig it up!

·
Registered
596 Posts
secondary bilge is almost a must for the big pond, with an open bow, if any thing else for peace of mind. And how much is the safty of the people you care about worth. Sense is not even a question it is just a good idea!!!!! Myself with an open bow the same size I know where you are coming from, better safe than sorry. safety is first out there so it would not be a waste of $$$$ or overkill. as for the filter I dont have one with an internal tank but like I said peace of mind is worth any amount of money. I pushed it a few times out there with my smaller closed bow boat and thought to myself what the hell was I thinkin!!!! stay safe always

·
Premium Member
6,424 Posts
omy lund came with 1 pump and it was not automatic. So I wired up a second automatic pump.

I also have a wire on board that would allow me to hook up the trolling motor battiers to the starting battey just in case.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I do the same thing Bassboat does. A pump out of sight in the bilge area can become clogged or sieze up without ever knowing it. I keep my spare pump in a water proof container with all my other survival stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Yes... it would seem like a good idea if they were dragging your boat out of the lake, so why not a good idea now?? 20-30 bucks is definitely worth it.

TLK - that is another great backup, w put them in all our boats too!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I used to have an open bow 19.5 aluminum. I had a heavy duty canvas cover that snapped onto the open bow when it got rough. It helped keep water out. I think keeping the water out is better than pumping it out after the fact. It had a small pole to support the middle.

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
My boat came with 2 pumps, & I also have a section of wire with clips for the purpose of hooking up any item direct to the battery in case there is a problem with the dash board. (as mentioned byLil King)

IMO:
I see NO REASON for one (like in our case smaller boats), to be out there in rough water & so far out to let something happen. All of last year I don't think ???? I was ever out beyond 2 miles.
I RESPECT that INLAND OCEAN we got. I've been out in 2/3 footers, that developed into 4/5 ft. & could see it building to get worse. Well DUH, I'm outta there.

My SAFETY check off is this;
If my electronics (radio etc) is not 100%,
Both my main & kicker are not 100%
& NEVER EVER GO OUT ALONE

I wait. :)2

I DO NOT enjoy getting bounced aroud while fishing. NOT FOR ME. I pick my days & enjoy myself.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Your supposed to have a back up means for bailing water. Like a bucket
or something. I used to do boat Inspections for U.S.C.G.A.
Neil

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have two pumps on my boat, one is automatic.
I agree with previous person, be careful when venturing
out on the big water.
Last year I installed a water seperator filter because I was concerned
about E-10 gas, and gas at the Canadian resort we visit. there inexpensive and available at West Marine. It gives me peace or mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts