ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading up to door county in mid June. Heard that the smallie fishing is good around Washington Island, but can't find more info than that. Not looking for honey holes, just an idea. I have no clue what the temperature a big body of water will be at that time of year to know if I could reach any fish
Also, are there any "Hot Spots" type maps for this area? I looked at hot spot's web site and the only thing close was Sturgeon Bay and that is too long of a drive every day from the cabin that I will be staying.

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks gentlemen, I looked at the WI DNR website and I could not figure out the season dates. Before I go I will have to pick up a copy of the regulations book. I have a hard time getting the full picture from those PDF files. Is it just me, or is the WI DNR site harder to made sense out of than most?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Weatherability
Ive fished DC quite a bit, and while the Wash Isl area does have outstanding smallies, you cant fish em at the time of year youll be there. So head back south on the peninsula mainland and hit the bays. Try Rileys Bay, Moonlight Bay, Baileys Harbor, etc on the Lake Michigan side, or Ellison Bay, Sister Bay, etc on the Green Bay side. Any modest sized bay can hold some fish potentially. Offshore reefs can be good too, but only if you get an exceptional weather day. If you're fishing from shore, look for town docks and piers to hold some fish too. Door Co smallies like live bait. Crawlers or leeches catch a lot in summer. Even minnows might work in mid-June. Slip bobber them. If you want to try lures, go with tubes or skirted plastics in "crawfish" colors, greens, browns, etc. They'll occasionally take spinners and crankbaits too. Ive caught smb on all those presentations, at one time or another.
Good luck up there and pls practice catch and release!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.