ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me some info on any local retention ponds/small lakes close to Rt 59 in the West Chicago / Naperville area. I just started working a new job in West Chicago, and am looking for some spots to fish before or after work. ( 100% catch and release)Not looking for anyone's secret "honey holes", just some spots that hold a few decent fish. Any info that would save me some "prospecting" time would be appreciated.

I am familiar with the Dupage river, Blackwell, West Branch etc, just looking for some smaller bodies of water.

·
Registered
38 Posts
LS said:
Can anyone give me some info on any local retention ponds/small lakes close to Rt 59 in the West Chicago / Naperville area. I just started working a new job in West Chicago, and am looking for some spots to fish before or after work. ( 100% catch and release)Not looking for anyone's secret "honey holes", just some spots that hold a few decent fish. Any info that would save me some "prospecting" time would be appreciated.

I am familiar with the Dupage river, Blackwell, West Branch etc, just looking for some smaller bodies of water.
I got to be honest with you. I have lived in Naperville for eleven years and most of the small ponds hold fish, some larger then others. Are you in north or south Naperville. I take it from the West Chicago listing your probabaly north. I have had the best luck using rubber worms carolina rigged with no additional weight. Just fish them slow. I am the opposite, just really beginning my adventures on the Duper. I probably fished it 4 or five times since last fall and only been skunked once, last Sunday. Good Luck. Let me know where about in Naperville. I tend to fish south.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
I live further West down I-88 in Aurora. Moved in about 2 years ago and had the exact same queston as you. IMO, your best bet is to do 2 things. First Google Search for Dupage County Forest Preserves and see what you are close to. Also Google Search for parks in West Chicago. That right there should give you a starting point. I remember a post from last Spring on another sight of an absolute pig caught in a West Chicago park pond. Not sure of the name of it, but I am postitive it was West Chicago. Next I would Google Earth the immediate area. You will be amazed how many bodies of water are within a few miles of your workplace. These require a little more scouting because you have to check to see if they are public. I will usually make a list of 2 or 3 places and check them all out in an afternoon. When you find a legal one, these usually end up being the gems. For myself at least, I have about as much fun finding ponds as I do fishing them. Hope this helped.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for the responses....especially Oldschool...I'll be in touch...lookin' forward to getting that map...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts