ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to fishing and am struggling to find fish anywhere I go. I have easy access to the Dupage River, but in my area, the water is only 2 feet deep. So I've been driving to Mazonia, Heidecke, Braidwood, etc, but having no luck there either. I would imagine I'm either doing something wrong or just fishing in the wrong spots. So, to eliminate the "wrong spot" part of the equation, I need some input...

1. Is anyone finding bass in the Duper south of Caton Farm Rd?
2. If so, are you shore fishing, wading, or floating?
3. Are these fish in deep holes?

Thanks,
Chris

· Registered
1,324 Posts
I fish the Dupage from north of Plainfield, down to the dam in Channahon. There are fish in eery stretch of this river. 2ft is about the average on this river. If you find anything waist deep, it's a "deep" hole. Best bet is always to wade or float. Generally, the water is very clear, and fish spook easily.

To consistently produce on this river, you must be a ninja

· Registered
14 Posts
Lots of good spots. Lots of nice fish. Got one this summer that went 21 inches. No tag. Tons of mid to high teens. It can be a tricky river. Search and destroy. I have spent many a hour just searching, looking and have only come up with a hand full of good spots that pay time and time again. So I am not going to just give the info up. Sift through the past posts there is a lot of good info in them. What stretch do you want to fish?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to give up the location of their best spots. Just making sure I'm not wasting my time. I know shorefishing has limited my opportunities, so it sounds like a set of waders are the next move.

Thanks for the feedback.

Chris

· Registered
3 Posts
Dupage River Smallies

Just wanted to give a little update on the smallies. If you haven't gone out yet now is the time. The bite is great in basically all of my honey holes from Renwick rd. to RT.52. Seems like my go to lure was not at the top of their menu today but jighead and twister tail did the trick. 22 smallies in 6 hours. PM me if you have some river spots you want to trade, due to the fact I usually only fish in the stretch mentioned above and have been for over ten years. Been wanting to go explore the rest of this great river but this stretch has never failed me.

· Registered
4 Posts
The Dupie has great fishing south of the Rt 52 dam. The key is playing the current. I'd love to say that the hot spots are consistent, but with the rains, the river is different from day to day.

The trick is keep trying and talk to other people who are successful on the water. Today I had 15 smallies in about 1.5 hours. I had guys show up by me and watch me catch plenty, but never asked what I was using or how I was finding them. I would have gladly filled then in, but they gave up before i was able to work my way down to them. (If I knew how to post pics I'd share some of today's)

Keep trying and it will pay off!

· Premium Member
4,385 Posts
Audiophyl - have the homeowners in the Shorewood area ever given you grief wading in the river down here? Many claim that they hold legal rights to the ground under the river and they'll call the police. I know guys that have been harassed trying to fish it while wading. I believe the river is considered navigable and I'm pretty sure the homeowners are full of it. But, I wanted to clarify things just in case I ever try this and I can have ammo ready if a police officer ever shows up...

· Registered
1,324 Posts
FishArt : they are right.... Partially.

The Dupage is not considered a navigable waterway, and if you look at a platbook, or real estate maps, the property lines of bordering homes do extend to 1/2 way across the river. If there is property on both sides of the river, by the same owner, the property lines cut directly across the river.

With that in mind, there is different wording in the statutes :

Hunting w/o permission lists lands, and WATER FLOWING OVER, or STANDING OVER another's property.

Which means, any person waterfowl hunting on the Dupage will be arrested for hunting without permission, even if they are 100+Yds away from an occupied dwelling, unless they have permission from the owner of the specific piece of bank/river they are sitting.

However fishing w/o permission states only WITHIN WATERS.

So in a nutshell.... Fishing is OK, hunting is not :)2

· Registered
4 Posts
FishArt said:
Audiophyl - have the homeowners in the Shorewood area ever given you grief wading in the river down here? Many claim that they hold legal rights to the ground under the river and they'll call the police. I know guys that have been harassed trying to fish it while wading. I believe the river is considered navigable and I'm pretty sure the homeowners are full of it. But, I wanted to clarify things just in case I ever try this and I can have ammo ready if a police officer ever shows up...
I've never been questioned when fishing in the Shorewood area on the Dupie. Most of the residents recognize that I'm respectful of the land and practice catch/release. Most wave and ask how it's going. The key is to thank them for letting you fish in the river and be polite.

I have had a homeowner tear into me on the Mazon river, between Coal City and Morris. I parked on the easement on the road, which he felt he owned and got pretty upset. I moved my vehicle to the other side of the bridge and fished that side of the river and all was good. I talked with some of his neighbors and they stated that's how he is.

From what I've learned, a federally navigatable river is not owned by anyone. The shoreline however is private property. The land under a non-federally navigatable river, such as the Dupie, Mazon, etc. on the other hand is owned by someone and they technically have the right to have you charged for trespassing, if they want. To that end, be courteous, apologize and move on quickly if questioned. That usually deflates any potential issues.

Hope this helps and see ya out there!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.