ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please practice catch and release on this river and others. Since the flood in 96 it has been getting better and better every year and the fish are growing. I hate to see smallmouth going in a bucket. our reasourses are limited, share them with everyone. Take a picture and let it go.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Hey,Stalker nice avatar. I'm glad you took my advice. :)2

·
Registered
796 Posts
I believe that the limit for smallmouths are 14". Not that I'd wanna ever keep one. Does the river also follow the C&R only rule from April to June?

I believe that the Illinois Smallmouth Alliance also posts up C&R signs all over the river at the major accessed areas too. That also helps :)2 :)2

JIG

·
Registered
42 Posts
Site Specific

According to 2004 Illinois Fishing Information page 16, the section of the West Branch between the Warrenville Dam and the Mcdowell FP Dam is catch and release. It looks like, otherwise, the IL limit of 6 LM and SM combined applies. Even so, since 30-40% of the water comes from "treatment" plants, and most of the rest is street and parking lot run off, do we really want to keep and eat fish from the Dupe? If you do, you do not have to marinade them since they are already thoroughly soaked in sewer water, prestone, pesticides and residual industrial waste.

Yummy!

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you do, you do not have to marinade them since they are already thoroughly soaked in sewer water, prestone, pesticides and residual industrial waste
Mike, I can see the street & parking lot run-off being a problem, but the effluent (discharge) from the treatment plants for the most part, barring unusual circumstances, is very clean. It has been chlorinated to kill the "bugs" and then goes through a de-chlorination process the removes the chlorine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dupe fishing

I work at the tackle shop in plainfield Strictly fishing and there is alot of people who come in saying how great the fishing is and i always ask if they kept anything and alot say they do keep the fish. They think that a 14 inch bass is worth keeping. Come on let it go.
Even when you can keep the fish why would some one want to. I fish the river almost twice a week and i always see someone with a fish on a stringger.
Thanks for your replies

·
Registered
50 Posts
There is a new regulation on all bass species for rivers in Illinois.
Between April 1 to June 15; all bass must be released back into the river or stream they were caught from!!! This state-wide regulation went into effect in 2003.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Speaking about the river. Is there a nice place to wad in the river? I am a fly fisherman and have never fished the river.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Is there a nice place to wad in the river?
Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Do your wadding in the privacy of your own home.

They must be really desperate "anglers" to keep a 14" Bass.
If you need to keep one to eat, it's probably the best size. Bigger won't taste better.

Note: I only kept one 14.5 inch bass last year (in the spring) to see how they taste. It was yummy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
OK maybe I am wrong about treated water. But I still believe the best reason for C&R in the DuPage is cancer prevention. Where do you think your Weed-be-gon, Turf Builder, and the farmer's Round-up go when it rains.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Wading

Wading-
isn't the rule, if you are wet, you are on State land? If your feet are in the water, you are free to walk from here to the Mississippi on any stream like the DuPage- waders- weigh in.

I am glad they put in the April to June C & R- it always struck me as lame that people pull bass full of spawn that are "just getting to breeding age" and put them on a stringer attached to their waders-

There is your number 1 reason fishing isn't absolutely fantastic here! People. It makes sense to leave them breed. I for one would not mind many miles of the river going 100% catch and release & barbless hooks. If you want a fishery- you have to be serious about it.

I laugh REALLY HARD :lol: when I see the old 6 bass limit which must be from the early 60's.... what angler needs to eat 6 fish let alone 6 of our top predator game fish? No one.

100% catch & release and proud of it. If you want to see the effects of 100% C&R- hit Lake Arlington with us next Saturday- it is going to rock! All species of fish are good sized there.

JDS- some times I think bass ARE carp to me... good one. I have a picture of a largemouth carp from fishing this past week. Also, just because you can catch your 6 14" bass and throw them up onto the bank, doesn't make it right :wink:

Hope you all had good fishing/yardwork.

Break time is over- I have to finish that pond and paint today.

John

·
Registered
5 Posts
lovetofish Posted: 17 Apr 2004 18:29 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If someone is wadding in the river do you call the DNR or the cops?

If someone is wading, I would say to leave them alone and let them be. Dont help the local nazi regime take away their right to fish as they please. I have been wading this river for the last 7 years and I practice c&r all the time. I would appreciate being left to fish as I please, as I am sure you would. Sorry for the rant, I just have enough problems with the Naperville govt. without fellow fisherman creating issues.

Hondo53

1 - 20 of 31 Posts