ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or is anyone else tired of all this E-Tech advertising hype.
First they compare the E-tech with 4 strokes, which is comparing apples to oranges,of course there is a weight difference,. but The Opimax is actually lighter. True it does't have on oil sump which 4 strokes have, but they still use oil at 40+ dollars a gallon. My oil change each year cost half that. No Maintance for 3 years, to me that means they don't winterize or fog the motor,no lubrication, and no changing lower unit oil? Is tis true?
Interesting I don't have as much maintance on my 4 stroke as they claim
I should.
E-Tech is probably excellent motor, but time well tell.
I'm sure its better than my 3 previous evinrudes including a Ficht.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yes, the E-Tec hype drives me crazy and I tend to respond to every E-Tec related post that spews Evinrudes advertising statements that are not ENTIRELY correct. But people will repeat Evinrude claims even though some independent testing proves otherwise depending on the HP class.

However, if you are a previous Evinrude owner, especially an early FICHT, don't confuse some of those nightmares with the impressive technology Bombardier put into the E-Tec. Without a doubt, the E-Tec is a very good outboard that anyone would be happy owning.

I'm very happy with my four stroke and will most likely stay with that technology, but would not rule out an E-Tec in the future if I found it to be the superior outboard in the HP class I'm seeking.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am on this boat as well, everyday on my lunch break I see the comercial 3 times. I want to break the tv, mainly caused it is sandwiched between two lawyers comercials as well.
I question a few items about the BRP two strokes still on the market. Why is it that they are the only ones left building them? I know they claim the emissions on their two strokes are better than everyone else's 4 strokes.
If having a two stroke was such an advantage why did Mercury, Yamaha, Suzuki all abandon them?
These are all huge budget companies who could have designed a emission freindly 2 stroke????
I ride snowmobiles, and mainly atv's. I have to say I am so much happier with the 4 strokes.
More power, quieter, and I dont have to carry oil. That means when we run 500 miles in the north woods on sleds I save $50 on oil, $30 on gas and still outrun the 2 strokes!

I am a mercury man, always have been always will be, I just don't want to hear the lies from BRP everyday!

·
Registered
321 Posts
basscatsncarp said:
Why is it that they are the only ones left building them? I know they claim the emissions on their two strokes are better than everyone else's 4 strokes.
If having a two stroke was such an advantage why did Mercury, Yamaha, Suzuki all abandon them?
Mercury and Yamaha did not abandon two stroke technology. Merc has the Optimax and Yamaha has the HPDI. Both are excellent outboards. Also Tohatsu makes a very good and affordable midrange direct injected two stroke.

The fact that Evinrude/BRP went entirely with two stokes was a good marketing decision backed up with some pretty impressive engineering. Why create a product for an already flooded technology catagory. They took a different approach with some "out of the box" thinking that will benefit all of us in the long run.

I don't doubt some of the emissions claims by BRP because it's listed on the EPA website. It's just that when they claim they are cleaner than four strokes, it's really only in one of the three catagories that make up the 3 Star rating. Four strokes are cleaner in the other two. So it's not lying, it's just not ENTIRELY true.

Same applies to most of the other claims. So again, it's not a lie, just not ENTIRELY true. Kinda like what politicians say to us. And that's what really bothers me.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The E-tech is indeed a nice motor but nowhere near the "supermotor" hype it's getting.
Need proof ??.....just ask those boys with all the blown E-Tech powerheads on the Detroit River during the tourney there last fall. :x

It's just a motor....built by people. It has issues like the Mercs, Yamahas and all the others.
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably (in this case it's definitely) true.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have an e-tec 150
I put about 100 hours on it from Sept to Thanksgiving.
Its an engine.
It runs real nice.
Starts real easy.
Self winterizes.
Adverts?
I put as much credence in e-tec ads as in, well, chevy, fridgidare, snickers
male enhancement,,,

I see every type of engine on all kinds of runabouts, pontoon boats, and fishing boats. When my 1991 ebvinrude with 3500 hours went belly up
i already knew I wanted the warranty, service, reliability of the e-tec.
I knew of a couple 90s that had problems when they first came out. evinrude replaced them.

I took out a Yamaha and a Honda.
The yamaha was almost as quiet. Ther Honda was slow.
You never know about the setup on dealer boats.
They were just engines. Like the e-tec.

My 150 ihas a better whole shot then my 175. (water sking and tubing)
It is way smoother.
It is very quiet.
Its not as fuel efficent as I hoped.
I can troll at <1.0mph.

It's an engine.
It's gonna last awhile.
Its gonna get worn out.
I'm gonna replace it. or buy another boat.
Hopefully you can ask me in 3400 hrs!

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
I know the ads are constant. But then again when the vast majority of ads for the last 10 years have been nothing but mercury ads in all the magazines and all the fishing tv shows I guess Evinrude needs a little advertisement too. And I don't believe there's too much hype. Evinrude IS the cutting edge in outboard technology.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I hate being on "the cutting edge" when I need something incredibly dependable.
It's a very nice motor....but it only beats a Merc ProXS in one performance category.......noise. It is indeed a nice quiet engine. Merc Pro XS beats it in top speed, and fuel economy.

Evinrude makes all kinds of service interval claims but you better take good care of any motor or else trouble brews. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts