ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me out and give me some pointers on early spring bass fishing.
Ive never really started fishing this early in the year so I dont have a lot of experience with these cold waters.
Are the fish deep or shallow? What times are the best to go out? What type of baits will be the most successful? And what type of structure should I be looking for?
I do alot of shorefishing in local ponds but I have access to a boat if I fish this certain lake and every once in a while Ill go to the dupage river and give it a shot.
Any tips will be greatly appreciated not only by me but other members who are looking for an edge on these early spring bass

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Just a couple:

On sunny days, fish the north side of ponds as the sun will warm up the north side more that the rest of the pond.

On sunny and breezy days, fish the side the wind is blowin to, as the sun-warmed surface water will attract the bass.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Red colored Lipless crankbaits are best choice, Texas rigged tubes are great too this time of year

·
Registered
62 Posts
With the weather we've been having i would start small and slow. 4 " senkos,roboworms, tubes even a jig and a twister,slow twitching flukes. Until we get some warmer water and sunniers days your not gonna get a reaction bite.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Saw an article in one of last year's In-Fisherman about casting cranks right after ice out for bass. Used a Mann's Baby -1 last week at local pond and caught 3 foot longs in about 15 minutes. Also caught a nice 20" at the same pond last year using same bait at about the same time of year. 8:)

Chudman

·
Registered
614 Posts
went out yesterday and threw my normal red rat-l-trap and smoke colored tube and got nothing, the days i have off are the worst for fishing lol, bright and sunny + clear water lake isnt very good for lures.

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
BTMBASS said:
went out yesterday and threw my normal red rat-l-trap and smoke colored tube and got nothing, the days i have off are the worst for fishing lol, bright and sunny + clear water lake isnt very good for lures.
sunny days now help warm the water and make the fish alittle more active

1 - 10 of 10 Posts