ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font color="#800080">I've been fishing the Skokie Lagoons, Busse, and Beck lake for many years now yet I never really wanted to eat anything I've caught, ie:large northern, catfish...etc. I've always wondered about how clean the water is for the fish. Are the fish safe to eat?</font>

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've been eating fish from there for many years and nothing has brained my damage yet

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've fished those same waters since I was a kid too. I live down the street from beck and big bend.

I've got the same problem with wanting to eat much from any of those. Skokie lagons and busse, I'm not too worried about, but I would'nt want to touch beck lake stuff. In Beck lake there is a high ppm of some bacteria from the goose crap. The symptoms are similar to the flu and it's hard to diagnose and treat.

I don't know, it's all personal preferace, but I guess if I can get sick from contact from the water through a cut on the skin or drinking it, I guess the fish can as well.

Other then that, when you see so much garbage decomposing in the water, and unknown oils/chemicals floating on the suface, from most IL water systems, well... It just doesn't make me feel like wanting to take anything home for the fry pan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts