ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any suggestions on electric knifes that would work on panfish and cats ? Thanx

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I never used one, until a couple of years ago. A buddy of mine got me into it. Now, I love them. The more you use one, the better you will get. I have two, a Rapala, and a Mr Twister. So far both work good. The Rapala has curved bladed, and the handle gets hot. The Twister blade is straight.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've only used an electric knife once to fillet fish and it worked pretty good. But it was an average kitchen type electric knife, not an advertised fillet knife. The only time I would consider using one is for large quantities of larger fish (sort of what we all want). Personally I wouldn't buy one. If my family reads this I'll have one by next Christmas.

G

·
I have a Mister Twister that has been good for at least fifteen years. I normally pull it out when I have a nice bag of salmon, walleye or crappie. Makes quick work of the filets. I recommend it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I took my wifes black and decker bread knife about 5 years ago and its the best one Ive tried. It has outlasted all of my buddies favorite knivesand has been through thousands of fish. never gets hot and wasnt much money. I can clean a fish in about 20 seconds with it, just remember to get a fillet glove. Oh yea, and dont forget to carve the thanksgiving turkey with it too.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I use the Rapala knife and you are right,that handle sure does get hot.It does the job nicely and replacement blades are available at Cabelas.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
i agree with Fisinnut i have a mister twister i had my dad buy it for me it was 30$ at bass pro. He lives in Mississippi and he gave me some fishing articles in the paper and it was advertiseing that same knife for 10$ ask my dad to pick me up one next time in town he did its great was filleting salmon no problem, i used it for perch this winter and fillted them fine.
Mister twister.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Electric fillet knife

Have a mister twister, have used rapala. Used both of my buddys, before buying. He likes Mister twister better, and so do I. Much easier to fillet with an electric!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I bought a Storm Lightnin' Fillet'R at Bass Pro Shop last year. Its the 110 volt version. They were selling them for $9.95. That was one of the best 10 bucks I've spent in a long time. It makes short work of filleting any kind of fish. I was always hesitant of how well an electric would work but I should have bought one of these things years ago...and I definitely should have bought two of 'em at that price.

·
Premium Member
10,336 Posts
Tubes77 needs to get in this conversation... I saw him filet a 4 man limit of Mississippi river walleyes in less than 15 minutes with his electric... It took me longer to get them vaccuum sealed than for him to get them into the sink...

G

·
my kentucky lake guide service guide used an electric filet knife on our crappie 2 weeks ago. he was done in no time. but of course he should be quick as those crappie were mutilated. those knives leave more meat on the carcasses and skin than should be allowed by law. try one on a turkey, you get turkey sawdust with the slices. sharpen a hi carbon filet knife properly and perform fish surgery like a pro. perfect, full filets are worth the effort! nothing good ever comes from rushing. pun intended!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have been using an electric for about 10 years. Just like anything else practice makes perfect. I tried all the above mentioned knives and found I like the American Angler knives. Seem to be reasonably priced and they come in 110 or 12v. Chef's Choice makes a sharpener for serrated blades that works great.

G

·
10inchgill said:
my kentucky lake guide service guide used an electric filet knife on our crappie 2 weeks ago. he was done in no time. but of course he should be quick as those crappie were mutilated. those knives leave more meat on the carcasses and skin than should be allowed by law. try one on a turkey, you get turkey sawdust with the slices. sharpen a hi carbon filet knife properly and perform fish surgery like a pro. perfect, full filets are worth the effort! nothing good ever comes from rushing. pun intended!
Obviously. your Kentucky lake guide doesn't know how to use it!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts