ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know if the boat launch at Voyagers in Elgin is open yet? Last time I tried to launch was in the fall and the docks had been pulled out.
Thanks

G

·
You don't need a dock to launch a boat I hope?!? Was going to launch from there today but got lazy. Fished south from there 2-3 weeks ago, how time flies. I didn't catch any fish that day and the water was coooollld, I'm just beginning to learn that stretch of water though so that can explain the lack of fish a little bit. What do you usually catch around there ? Which way do you go from Voyager, up or downstream? I've gone but both directions but not very far either way. Found one whole about 10 feet deep but I only marked 2 fish (if that's what they were) Anyway, good luck launching that boat. Know of anyplace along that stretch of water where you don't have to be off the water by dark because of the landing closing?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I know you can still launch it even without the dock. I just figured it might be a bit easier for me. I haven't gone very far north of there, and have gone as far south as the dam. Supposedly every fish that swims in the lake is in that stretch of river, though I have only seen smallmouth, catfish, walleyes, drum and largemouth bass.

G

·
What's the deepest hole you know of south of voyager landing? You don't have to tell me where it is, I'm just curious how deep it is. I found one spot that was around 9-10' deep near some park that is on the east shore. I didn't have much time to really explore and was only able to fish for about 25 minutes before I had to jet. I marked what appeared to be a few scattered fish but in a river who knows, it could just be junk floating by as far as I know. (hoping for an aquaview for xmas) My office may be moving over to the Elgin area off of 31 and 90. I hope it does so I can bring the boat to work and be on the river by 3:35. My wife is going to kill me!

G

·
I just bought my boat this year, and have been out on that stretch of river several times in the past few weeks. I had some luck with cats in a small bay about halfway between the launch and the dam, where the water reclemation plant pick up is. I also caught 2 small small mouths a little south of there (where the river gets very skinny). This was when the river was way up though. If you have a larger boat like me, avoid the river about 1/4 mile north of the launch, as it is very shallow. Good luck and happy fishing!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts