ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!

I've been lurking around for about a month, but after reading some negative comments about lurkers, I decided it was time to contribute.

All of the fishing I do is in small lakes or ponds, usually for panfish and bass. Recently I've been looking for a little more. I have become interested in learning about walleye fishing, but don't have the slightest clue of how to go about it, especially on a river.

I live in Naperville, and work out of Schaumburg, but am in Elgin a lot. So I figured I'd try the Fox since I'm close to Aurora, and could do some afternoon fishing in Elgin when I get the chance.

So I was hoping someone out there could give me some tips for fishing the Fox in these areas for walleye. I figured my best bet would be to start with live bait off the bottom with a floating jig.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated as to techniques or locations. By the way, I'll be shore fishing. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
151 Posts
my suggestion would be to find another body of water to hone walleye fishing techniques. the fox has them, i've caught them but not many. walleye to me aren't the fighting kinda fish. walleye are meant to be eaten. i think it says it in the dictionary even.
i'll tell you what i do know about walleyes on the fox. early spring (mid march to the end of april) is the best time for them. sandy flats out of the current are prime spots to find them. after the spawn they'll move into deeper holes closer to the spillways to feed. (this is the time they do that. hint hint). spawning walleyes will hit minnows. post spawn walleyes will hit anything that floats by them. minnows under a float work well but crankbaits produce just as many.

i wouldn't suggest the fox though. if a river is where you'd like to target them try the kankakee river. larger population of fish and if you keep em, you can eat em. i personally wouldn't eat anything outta the fox. and like i said, if you're not gonna eat the ones you catch then why fish them? smallmouth are much better fighters. they can be found year round and they are plentiful in the fox.

of course these are nothing more than my opinions. i'm sure there are others on here that will chime in with there own experiences. i'll be watching this thread tho for sure. i'd like to see what people have to say about walleyes on the fox. smallies are predominantly the topic here but few people talk about walter.

pm me if you'd like some spots to try. i only have two but i'd gladly give you what i know. AND WELCOME TO THE CLUB TOOTH!! LOL

·
Registered
882 Posts
I wouldn't say the Fox has a tremendous walleye population, but definately a fishable population. I'm with El Pescador though, i'd rather target smallies. But...to each his own.

People most often target them in the current breaks below dams. You will not always find them there, but its a good place to start. My favorite place to look for river walleye is where a shoreline eddie (place where the currents hits an obstuction and reverses direction) meets the fast water of the main channel. Current seams in general can be good. Try to keep your bait close to the bottom.

Try using a jig/minnow combo, split shot and minnow rig, jig and twister combo, or Jig and soft plastic minnowbait. If you like crankin' it seems like long narrow profile stickbaits work well.

It gets alot of pressure, but if you're looking for a shore spot in Elgin, i'd give the Kimball street dam a try.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys!

I'd love some tips for smallies on the Fox as well. When I said I normally catch bass I meant largemouths. I've never targeted smallmouth, so I'd like to give them a try as well. All I really know about smallmouths is they like rocky habitat. However, I could be wrong for all I know.

Today I picked up some floating and regular jig heads, some "walker roach" weights I think they were called, berkely gulp minnows, and 4.5 in sluggos.

I bought the floating jigs, weights, and gulp minnows for walleye, and the sluggos to try for smallies. I bought this stuff from the limited knowledge I have on these species.

Any suggestions on proven tactics would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm not looking for your favorite spot, but some general locations/conditions to fish for them.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
Welcome tooth

Twister tails on a light jig (1/16 oz) are a favorite for many to catch smallmouth.
Just look for eddys and current edges and you'll find some.
Small Rapala's and Case hellgrammites among may other things work well also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.