ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to post a couple of pics from my February Everglades and Miami Canals Trip...

Peacock Bass....Hard to believe its a freshwater fish...
[/img]

Like pigeons...that can eat you.

The Evelerglades canals are just miles of perfect bass fishing...

Best catch of the day...

Can't wait to get back! Come ooon spring baby!

-Dan

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
I heard that Florida stocked the small variety of Peacock Bass in the canals. Is that true? I ain't knockin your fish, I'm just curious about what variety the state of FL stocked.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Looked around the web a little and couldn't find any references to sizes or strains that were introduced down there. I'm interested in fishing for them next time I'm in that area. Here's what I did find.
In Florida, Peacock Bass were introduced into the lakes and canals of Miami-Dade County in 1984 after ten years of study by the Game and Fish Commission. Over twenty thousand Butterfly Peacock Bass were released to help control the growing population of exotic fishes, particularly the Spotted Tilapia and Oscar. The Florida Peacock Bass wasted little time fulfilling its anticipated roles. Almost immediately the population of Spotted Tilapia started to drop. Because of their sensitivity to cold, the only place on the United States mainland Peacocks have been successfully stocked has been in South Florida. Peacock Bass cannot in fact, survive any further north than Broward County or they experience a natural die off. Any further north than that despite efforts by well meaning fisherman transporting them to other locations simply has not worked. Though called bass to raise its game fish status, Peacocks are actually in the cichlid family and is a very close relative to the Oscar, a popular aquarium fish. They grow at a very fast rate, reaching a pound or more in size their first year, so you can imagine how much they have to eat to fuel that growth! Therefore Peacock Bass are ready and willing to viciously attack just about any type lure or bait, especially if retrieved in a lively manner. They just love to attack and destroy streamers and poppers for you fly fishermen and many of the conventional bass lures for you die hard bass fishermen. It is not uncommon to catch thirty fish or more per day. Once hooked the Peacock Bass puts on a spectacular show that is second to none.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the Florida is a much smaller strain of the butterfly peacock than in the Amazon. The Florida record being about 9lbs. Only place in the U.S. besides Hawaii that has em though. Really cool fish.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Thanks for the photos. Ah, the need to shield your neck from the sun! Musta been nice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts