ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm talking like 10-20 ft of water. What strikes your fancy - dive-to's, x-raps, slash baits, lipless cranks, suspenders, etc? Just wanted some opinions....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Not sure if you can still find them, but the Down deep rattilin' fat rap in chrome/blue and fire tiger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,107 Posts
The DT series by rapala
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
i love lipless cranks in general, but for a 'lipped' crank that gets down deep i like the normans (for over 10 feet). anything less than 10 i like strike kings series 3,5,6. I love the DT also jsut a little pricier. THey are way nicer out of the box than the strike king's though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,645 Posts
I like the DT Series of cranks, mainly on a trolling spread for pike in Wisco. There does not seem to be as many new options in recent years as opposed to shallow and medium divers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,107 Posts
I'm also trolling the DT for pike 70% of the time when using them, the other 30% would be hitting steep drop offs. If I have to get deep for bass for me it's swim jigs, footballs or some style of drop shot rig. I don't target eyes very often but I like the tail dancer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
i would have to agree with fishslayer Normans are my choice in 10 to 20ft of water..... Football jigs also work well when dragged across the bottom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did buy a handful of new cranks - a few being the DT's because of their shape. I believe they only dive to about 8' though. I'm in an experimental phase with brands as I am trying to become a more proficient crankbaiter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
.....personally i dont think the bait matters as much as the ability to keep the fish on. Short of the bass completely inhaling the crank they shake off a lot. I know the strike king factory hooks arent terrible but they arent great, but i also didnt really want to replace all my crankbait hooks cuz of the expense. so bought a new cranking stick. american rodsmiths david fritts 6.6 graphite/glass mix with titanium in there somewhere. slow action a the tip so the fish can load up. hopefully that will help. the rod is light as a feather, i have it pairedup with a REVO premiere and combined they are insanely light and can cast a mile.

i'm geeked to fish!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
My choice for deep water cranking & trolling would be either the Cotton Cordell CD-9 or a Mann's Stretch 15+. I cast them along steep dropoffs and crank them down fast to trigger impulse strikes from fish suspended 20 ft. down. I also use these down 20 to 35 ft. trolling and can dredge up large walleye and northern with either, and they track straight up to 4 mph. We have trolled them down to 35 ft and knocked bottom sometimes to wake up deep summer walleyes. They are large baits, I use them primarily in NW Ontario in late summer. Bright chrome or gold are best colors for that application.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
deep water cranking

if you plan on fishing deep water cranks there are two things you need to worry about before the bait your choosing, first your line, you need to use maximum 12 flourocarbon line, fluro sinks so your crank bait will dive deeper, and deep im talking 20ft....i personally use 10 pound fluro, but gotta be somewhat careful of break offs, also your rod length, no shorter then 7'6 because you need to launch your casts to give that bait a lot of time to get down and a 10lb fluro line will help with the distance in your casts, as far as baits, really cant go wrong with a normans dd22
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
i agree about the fluoro, i fish with 12, and i agree about needing to get the lure out there to give it time to dive. the 7.6 will help with this but i throw a 6.6 crank stick and i can toss 3/4 of the line off it when casting a 1/2 oz bait. with these newer cranks they get down in a hurry and realistically, when are you catching bass in the 18-20 foot range on cranks??? in my experience the 8-12 foot range is more likely to get bit. they feed 'up' and all.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top