ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Manns -1, Rapala X-rap, or any kind of lipless rattlebait.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Rat-l-trap for sure. My go to bait, always great. Especially on dirty rivers where vibration is huge.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Best Search bait

The best search bait in my opinion is the Rat-L-Trap. A Suspending shad bait is my best "producer" of LM. My best big fish bait is a #11 Husky Jerk in Clown or Baby Bass (water clarity).

·
Registered
275 Posts
lipped cranks 6-9 foot divers
shallow divers
lipless cranks

i dont throw the suspending jerkbait too often because i'm not that patient but my buddies do and they have success, you guys sound like you have success with it. i may need to dust some off!

·
Registered
412 Posts
#1 Lipless cranks from differant manufacturers(sometimes they dont want a Rat-l-trap but will hit a Rapala or Frenzy)
#2 white double willow spinnerbaits
#3 jerkbait(311 Rapala)

·
Registered
94 Posts
#1 Spinnerbaits. I throw these as soon as the weather gets nice all they way till the lakes ice up. I like Strike King's, Picaso's, and last year i even started using Terminator spinnerbaits. I highly Recomend Kevin Van Dams Spinnerbait DVD from Bass pro shops, it is a amazing DVD that will teach you alot.

#2 Lipless Crankbaits. I was a Rat-L-Trap guy for years, I still use there lil tiny ones for pond fishing. But now if I am fishing lakes or rivers, or using a full size one the Rat-L-Trap just dosnt do it for me anymore. I am very particular about the shape of my lipless cranks now. I became this way last summer fishing up in northern wisconsin. I was using a crankbait called a "Clatter Shad" which are not made anymore and getting prolly 3 or 4times the amount of bites then my buddy who was using a Rat-L-Trap. But they arent made anymore so i thought i was screwed. Well the guy that showed them to me said the build your own lipless crankbaits from Stamina work just as good. And they really do, i've prolly built three dozen now, make sure to take advantage of the mix and match option on there. Hot Mustard or whatever is called is my favorite color they have. I have also baught a few of the Strike King Diamond Shads and had good sucess with them, they are even about a dollar cheaper then the Rat-L-Traps.

#3 Original Floating Rapalas. For me these baits have a sort of magical feeling to them. When that sun starts setting, tie on a 4inch one in either Black/Gold or Black/Silver, cast it out there and just slowly reel it in. I always catch fish doing that in summer. Twitch it real slow on top of the water next to wood or lilly pads during the day. Just an amazing lure.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I always liked big spinnerbaits for largies, now I fish for smallies more than largies.
Last summer I had good luck on smallies with small (1/4 oz.) buzzbaits.
A lot of fun too, -buzzbaits.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Nothing better than "walk'n" a Spook when they're on top.
Any of the Rapala DT's are a good choice.

·
Registered
162 Posts
1. Norman Deep Baby N
2. Lucky Craft RC 1.5
3. Lucky Craft Pointer DD78

My largest bass in Illinois came on a Lee Sisson Tiny Ticker last fall at Clinton, 5.25lb

[/img]

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Only one??? I'm with "Ithrowemback". The Rapala DT series have been a long time a-comin!!! I've been searching long and hard for a crankbait for decades that can cast a country mile AND the hooks don't hang on each other (or the line) like most crankbaits out there. Plus, the 2' or less divisions between the lures (depths) can really pinpoint fish. A Rattle Trap is a great lure too, (and maybe it's just me because of my success with the DT series???) but I've caught FAR more fish per cast on the DT series than I have on any other hard lure - CASTING. When it comes to trolling, it's pretty tough to beat a Shad-Rap (Yeah, I'm partial to Rapala!!!) Of course, a lot depends on what specie you're after, but I've caught everything on both of these lures...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts