ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of you have answered Paul T,s poll and have answered topwaters now,what are the favorite kinds of topwaters that you carry for smallmouths on streams,and what seems to be the go to colors that work for you.Thanks for answering Kevin Dells

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<font color="#00FF00">Actually it took a while for the poll to come up. But Paul my man you know my favorite!! Dam right its the Chug Bug, Black and chrome shad pattern. I will give the Yozuri a big vote as well, i have a yozuri on my key chain that i finally broke its tail section off of when i casted it a little to vigorously at a bridge support. That Yozuri caught well over a hundred smallies!! I still say that the chug bug and the yozuri catch more fish because there tails sit deep in the water when you pause them. This year im bulking up my rear treble tails with longer strands of silver and green mylar and making them twice the length. Kevin</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that this was an interesting poll because it showed me that the people on this board really do know what they are talking about. I know from experience that the Chug Bug rules, and the poll results prove that I'm not the only one who knows that fact. Perch colored works best!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:)2 One really cool bit of advice that i saw on a fishing show and i use it now is,(dont think im nuts it works!) When you have those days that the smallies are just barely hitting it or better known as short striking your popper(smacking it out of the way).Take a foot long peice of fishing line(6lb test) and tie a small tube jig or twister tail(2") or a crappie jig to it,then tie that to the back treble hook of your popper.You will pick up those missed bass.Make sure to pause it a few seconds longer than you normally do when using a stop and go retrieve and try to make your snaps a little sharper.When you snap the popper the jig darts around behind the popper and when you pause it sinks below it like its a small fish waiting for action again.Smallies can not turn this down if they do, then they dont want the popper at all.
Have fun with this rig! Kevin :)23

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<font color="#00FF00">Patrick,i use the middle size chug bug ,there are tree sizes available that i know of,the baby bug, the chug bug and the mucky size chug bug. The middle size is about 3 inches long.The best colors i still think are the chrome and black, and chrome and blue. i have tried the zara spook many times but the chug bug you can work slower with the pause in between. Toss one of those babies into a pool or slack water eddy and hold on.the sh8#@ts going to hit the fan. This is my confidence bait when the time is right (spring and fall water temps 50 to 60), when the water gets warmer i go to a crawfish plastic on a #2/0 weighted keeper hook,or a Wordens Rooster Tail spinnerbait white,yellow or chartruese. If the weather would cooperate i really want to see how the new crawdads from storm work. i bought every color they make,the nice thing about them is there a tube style plastic that come with 2 VMC jigs and they have built in rattles you get 8 of them for 2.99$ Mad man craws are identical to the storm craws,but they cost 5.99$ for eight of them and they dont come with rattles or the jig heads,personally i wonder why they cost so much . I also have floating Smithwick rattlin Rogues and floating Rapalas for surface twiching this works well.i need to try the double blade buzzbait this summer havent used it yet.</font> :)12

1 - 10 of 10 Posts